A small group of SLHA members walked the length of the former Little Bytham to Edenham railway on a warm day in late March.
The line was laid down at his own personal expense by Lord Willoughby to bring passengers and goods - especially coal - to the centre of his estate at Grimsthorpe and to nearby Bourne.
It opened in 1856 and ran for a relatively short time. Three stone buildings of the terminus survive at Edenham: the station building, engine shed and tiny weighhouse, all now subsumed within an extensive farmstead.
The 4-mile route of the line itself can be readily identified and quite easily followed to its junction with the main line at Little Bytham. It passes through significant cuttings and along high embankments; gradients are unusually severe (up to 1:35.
There is one surviving road bridge (minor road from Little Bytham to Witham on the Hill) over the line, but all features at the Little Bytham junction have been long swept away by improvements to the East Coast main line.
March 2011railway, Bytham, Edenham, Willoughby, Grimsthorpe, Bourne,