The South Holland History Group enjoyed a very interesting and well presented talk by Julia Knight, the Museum Officer, about Ayscoughfee Hall in Spalding on 27 January.
This beautiful house was built about 1420 for Richard Ailwyn, a wool merchant, and it is believed that it was granted to Sir William Ayscough from Stallingborough in north Lincolnshire sometime after 1506. The hall was subsequently known as Ayscoughfee, the suffix signifying the territorial grant made to a knight of the realm.
No records exist of the Ayscoughs actually living at the hall although the second son, Sir William Ayscough, sometimes lived in Spalding.
A number of different families occupied the hall after 1520, the most well known of which were the Johnsons, who were there until 1851.
The hall and gardens were sold by Isabelle Johnson to a committee of Spalding citizens in 1898 for sum of £2100. Thus the building came into public use, and today is administered by South Holland District Council on behalf of the people of Spalding.
This Grade One building has exceptional quality and the townspeople are rightly proud of their great house.
January 2012Aycoughfee Hall, Knight, Ailwyn, wool, merchant, Stallingborough, Johnson, Spalding,