Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Billinghay
 
Billinghay, Baptist Church
Billinghay, Baptist Church
Billinghay, Baptist Church

Built in the late eighteenth century with later additions, Bethel Baptist Chapel is Grade II listed.

It remains in active use as a place of worship.

April 2018

Billinghay, Bethel Baptist chapel
Billinghay, Bernard Gilbert
Billinghay, Bernard Gilbert
Billinghay, Bernard Gilbert
Bernard Gilbert was born in Billinghay in 1882 and moved to Lincoln in 1914 where he worked as a journalist for the Lincolnshire Echo.
 
Gilbert also published several volumes of verse, some in Lincolnshire dialect.
Billinghay, Bernard Gilbert
Billinghay, Bronze Age sword
Billinghay, Bronze Age sword
Billinghay, Bronze Age sword

The beautiful, sinuous lines of a Bronze Age sword are unmistakable.

Although fragments of Bronze Age swords are not uncommon, complete swords are still rare finds.

This sword, from Billinghay, was found in 1852.

It belongs to a series of swords known as the 'Ewart Park' type, dating to the late Bronze Age, c.950-800BC.

Courtesy of Lincolnshire County Council, The Collection

Billinghay, Bronze Age sword, Ewart Park
Billinghay, Field Mill (1)
Billinghay, Field Mill (1)
Billinghay, Field Mill (1)

This six-floored mill on Walcot Road had six sails, although, as was commonly the case, it ran with four sails when sails were under maintenance or repair.

Jon Sass Collection, photograph c.1928

Billinghay, Field Mill, windmill, Jon Sass
Billinghay, Field Mill (2)
Billinghay, Field Mill (2)
Billinghay, Field Mill (2)

The sails and fan on Field Mill were removed in 1938 following a lightning strike and the empty tower was reduced in height in the 1960s.

Location of mill: TF 143 551

Peter Kirk Collection, 1999
Billinghay, West Mill, Walcot Road
Billinghay, former Butchers Arms public house
Billinghay, former Butchers Arms public house
Billinghay, former Butchers Arms public house

The former Butchers Arms in Bridge Street closed in 1970.

Mark Acton, 2018

Billinghay, Butchers Arms, public house
Billinghay, former Butchers Arms public house
Billinghay, former Butchers Arms public house
Billinghay, former Butchers Arms public house

A lamp over the front door recalling ownership by Halls of Ely brewery.

Mark Acton, 2018

Billinghay, Halls, Ely, Butchers Arms, public house
Billinghay, former Cross Keys Public House
Billinghay, former Cross Keys Public House
Billinghay, former Cross Keys Public House

This former pub, closed in 1956, belonged to Soulby, Sons & Winch brewery.

Mark Acton, 2018

Billinghay, pub
Billinghay, Golden Cross
Billinghay, Golden Cross
Billinghay, Golden Cross

Former Golden Cross public house.

Listed in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 "Singleton Philip, Golden Cross P.H"

DB 25 June 2020

Billinghay, Golden Cross, Public House
Billinghay, Mosaic
Billinghay, Mosaic
Billinghay, Mosaic

Lincolnshire Life reports "Another interesting feature is the mosaic which tells a potted history of Billinghay, including the settling of the Romans there in the 1st century AD; the seventeenth century draining of the Fens to create farmland – which then saw the crops ground in the village windmills; 1987 when Billinghay was twinned with French village Ballon and the great fire of 9th September 1864.

The mosaic was created by a local group called the Billinghay Nibblers between 2000 & 2007"

https://www.lincolnshirelife.co.uk/posts/view/village-with-characterful-tales-to-tell 

DB 13 June 2020

Billinghay, Mosaic, Nibblers
Billinghay, New Bridge
Billinghay, New Bridge
Billinghay, New Bridge

Billinghay is a large village in the Witham fen between Lincoln, Horncastle, Sleaford and Boston. The Roman Car Dyke passes through the parish.

The major land drain in the area, the Billinghay Skirth, runs to the east of the village and up to the Witham near Tattershall Bridge.

The New Bridge crosses this drain to give access from the village to the A153, the former Horncastle to Sleaford turnpike road.

The tall chimney in the centre background is thought to be at the Billinghay North and Walcot Dales Pumping Station (TF 177559). The pump was operated by steam engine from 1864 to 1940.

undated postcard (by B. Smith of Heckington)

Billinghay, Billinghay Skirth, New Bridge, Car Dyke, B Smith of Heckington, Walcot Dales pumping sta
Billinghay, Primitive Methodist Chapel (1st West Street)
Billinghay, Primitive Methodist Chapel (1st West Street)
Billinghay, Primitive Methodist Chapel (1st West Street)

The date stone, missing in this image but which has subsequently been replaced, reads "PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL 1850 RENOVATED 2017" 

"A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Sleaford Circuit Past And Present" prepared by  Colin Shepherdson & Peter Robinson June 1996 states :-

"The first chapel was erected in 1851, in West Street, and is now in use as a storehouse"

The front of the building, facing onto West Street, formally had a central doorway but no windows.

DB 25 June 2018

Billinghay, Primitive Methodist Chapel, Church
Billinghay, Primitive Methodist Chapel (2nd High Street)
Billinghay, Primitive Methodist Chapel (2nd High Street)
Billinghay, Primitive Methodist Chapel (2nd High Street)

"A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Sleaford Circuit Past And Present" prepared by  Colin Shepherdson & Peter Robinson June 1996 states :-

"The second chapel was erected in the High Street in 1912 and closed on the 6.1.1996.

The chapel is currently standing empty" 

Now in use as a private house.

DB 13 June 2020 

Billinghay, Primitive Methodist Chapel, Church
Billinghay, Ship Inn
Billinghay, Ship Inn
Billinghay, Ship Inn

Listed in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1909 "Taylor Robert, Ship inn"

Two public houses listed in White's Directory 1856 "Bones James, vict. Cross Keys" & "Stringer Wm. vict. Golden Cross" also a brewer "Johnson Wm. brewer" and four beerhouses. 

Ship Inn closed along with all other public houses, when this picture was taken, because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

DB 13 June 2020

Billinghay, Ship Inn, Public House
Billinghay, signpost memorial
Billinghay, signpost memorial
Billinghay, signpost memorial

A signpost remembering villager Fred Gilbert.

'Fred Gilbert was a piano teacher who rode around the village on an old-fashioned bicycle. He was so short-sighted that he wore up to three pairs of spectacles on his nose at the same time. Lessons were spent looking for lost pairs.'

Mark Acton, 2018

Billinghay, Fred Gilbert
Billinghay, signpost memorial
Billinghay, signpost memorial
Billinghay, signpost memorial

A signpost remembering villager Nickel Bavin.

'During the 1920's local prizefighter Nickel Bavin would always oblige if called upon for a fight. His contests happened in the Market Place, on raw stones and gravel. He was a popular attraction at the annual October Fair.'

Mark Acton, 2018

Billinghay, Nickel Bavin, prizefighting
Billinghay, South's Mill (1)
Billinghay, South's Mill (1)
Billinghay, South's Mill (1)

South Mill was built in about 1806 on the site of an earlier post mill in Victoria Street.

It was raised by two storeys in 1830 after the top had been wrecked in a storm.

Jon Sass Collection, undated photograph

Billinghay, South Mill, Victoria Street, Jon Sass
Billinghay, South's Mill (2)
Billinghay, South's Mill (2)
Billinghay, South's Mill (2)

This is the surviving stump of a seven-storey four-sailed mill built on Victoria Street. It last worked in the 1930s.

Location of mill: TF 153 551

Peter Kirk Collection, 1999


Billinghay, South's Mill
Billinghay, South’s Mill (3)
Billinghay, South’s Mill (3)
Billinghay, South’s Mill (3)

Built in about 1830 on the site of an earlier post mill in Victoria Street. There remains only a small part of the brick tower.

Painting by Karl Wood, 1932

Billinghay, South's Mill, Karl Wood
Billinghay, St Michael
Billinghay, St Michael
Billinghay, St Michael

The Early English west tower of St Michael's church, Billinghay.

The broach spire with flying buttresses was added in 1787.

August 2012

Billinghay, St Michael, broach spire
Billinghay, St Michael
Billinghay, St Michael
Billinghay, St Michael

St Michael’s Billinghay has an Early English west tower, with a broach spire with flying buttresses added in 1787.

Much of the church is Early English and Decorated, with a Perpendicular clerestory to the nave.

August 2012

Billinghay, St Michael church
Billinghay, St Michael
Billinghay, St Michael
Billinghay, St Michael

Another view of the church from the south-east.

April 2018

Billinghay, St Michael
Billinghay, St Michael
Billinghay, St Michael
Billinghay, St Michael

The spire of St Michael's church was rebuilt in 1912.

April 2018

Billinghay, St Michael
Billinghay, St Michael, capital
Billinghay, St Michael, capital
Billinghay, St Michael, capital

The quatrefoil piers in the south arcade are from the late Early English period.

April 2018

Billinghay, St Michael, piers
Billinghay, St Michael, Churchyard
Billinghay, St Michael, Churchyard
Billinghay, St Michael, Churchyard

First World War memorial to Corporal J.Hildred and Staff Nurse N.Wilson buried in the churchyard.

DB 25 June 2020

Billinghay, Saint Michael, Churchyard, war memorial
Billinghay, St Michael, font
Billinghay, St Michael, font
Billinghay, St Michael, font

A typical font of the Perpendicular (15th century) period, octagonal in section with panel tracery.

April 2018

Billinghay, St Michael, font
Billinghay, St Michael, interior
Billinghay, St Michael, interior
Billinghay, St Michael, interior

View of the church interior looking east. The south arcade (right) dates from the thrteenth century, the north (left) from the fourtheenth.

April 2018

Billinghay, St Michael, interior
Billinghay, St Michael, Mass Dial
Billinghay, St Michael, Mass Dial
Billinghay, St Michael, Mass Dial

Mass dial visible on this butress.

"Some 3,000 mass, tide or scratch dials have been recorded in the UK.

Typically located on the south wall of a parish church, this form of sundial was used to mark the ‘variable’ time of liturgical services in the medieval world."

http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/mass-dials/mass-dials.htm

See also

http://sundialsoc.org.uk/dials_menu/mass-dials/

DB 25 June 2018 

Billinghay, Saint Michael, Church, Mass Dial, scratch dial
Billinghay, St Michael, memorial
Billinghay, St Michael, memorial
Billinghay, St Michael, memorial

Bernard Gilbert was a poet, playwright, novelist and journalist who reflected on life in Lincolnshire, especially during the First World War.

He wrote series of articles for the Lincooln Gazette. Some of his poems are in Lincolnshire dialect.

April 2018

Billinghay, St Michael, Bernard Gilbert
Billinghay, St Michael, porch
Billinghay, St Michael, porch
Billinghay, St Michael, porch

The rather 'rickety' south porch has a coped gable with gabled kneelers and a cross finial, plus stone benches inside.

April 2019

Billinghay, St Michael, porch
Billinghay, St Michael, roof timber
Billinghay, St Michael, roof timber
Billinghay, St Michael, roof timber

The timber roof with tie-beams, arched braces and bosses dates from the sixteenth century.

April 2018

Billinghay, St Michael, roof timber
Billinghay, St Michael, Royal Arms
Billinghay, St Michael, Royal Arms
Billinghay, St Michael, Royal Arms

Sited on the west wall of the nave. Royal Arms of 1801-16. Marked at the base 'Anthony Radford Churchwarden 1801 Everith Painter'. The board also contains the Lord's Prayer, the Commandments & the Creed.

Mark Acton, 2018

Billinghay, Royal Arms
Billinghay, St Michael, Steeple
Billinghay, St Michael, Steeple
Billinghay, St Michael, Steeple

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of St. Michael is a large edifice of oolitic stone, in the Early Perpendicular and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, with organ chamber and vestry (added in 1895 at the cost of £104), nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower, with pinnacles and spire, containing a clock and 3 bells:

the aisles are separated from the nave by arcades of plain Pointed arches, with clustered columns on the south side and octagonal columns on the north side and the east window is stained:

in 1880 a memorial pulpit with a prayer desk; costing about. £40, was erected by friends of the Rev. Edward Charles Frederick Jenkins M.A. vicar 1832-80:

the north aisle was rebuilt and the church thoroughly restored and reseated in 1856, and the chancel has also been restored:

there are 300 sittings" 

DB 25 June 2018 

Billinghay, Saint Michael, Church
Billinghay, St Michael, Steeple, Clock
Billinghay, St Michael, Steeple, Clock
Billinghay, St Michael, Steeple, Clock

Detail of clock on the west face of the tower. 

"C19 metal clock face with above again a small plaque inscribed W:K. 1787"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1204770 

DB 25 June 2020

Billinghay, Saint Michael, Church, clock
Billinghay, Street Scene
Billinghay, Street Scene
Billinghay, Street Scene

The windmill is South’s or Black Mill.

It worked until just before the Second World War. Only the derelict bottom two storeys remain.

undated postcard

Billinghay, windmill,
Billinghay, Vicarage
Billinghay, Vicarage
Billinghay, Vicarage

The old vicarage, now a listed building, was sold in 1734 when this replacement vicarage was built.

DB 25 June 2020

Billinghay, Vicarage
Billinghay, Vicarage
Billinghay, Vicarage
Billinghay, Vicarage

"Cottage. Early C18 with late C18 and C20 alterations"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061744 

"A cottage built in the mid 17th century which served as a vicarage until 1734. The building was converted to a museum and visitor centre in c.1989"

https://www.lincstothepast.com/The-Old-Vicarage-and-associated-outhouse--Billinghay/239526.record?pt=S 

DB 23 August 2020

Billinghay, Cottage, vicarage
Billinghay, Water Tower
Billinghay, Water Tower
Billinghay, Water Tower

On the edge of the village at National Grid Reference TF143551.

According to a Tweet by Anglian Water "It holds 0.6million litres and was built in the 1950s"

DB 13 June 2020

Billinghay, Water Tower
Billinghay, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Billinghay, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Billinghay, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

"A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Sleaford Circuit Past And Present" prepared by  Colin Shepherdson & Peter Robinson June 1996 states :-

"i) A dwelling house was licensed for worship in 1793.

The Society subsequently rented a chapel, erected in 1817, but in 1832 they built their own chapel in King Street.

This chapel has since been demolished.

ii) The second chapel, in Victoria Street, was built in 1867 but very soon had to be demolished and was replaced in 1869 by another on the same site.

This chapel is still in use"

DB 25 June 2018

Billinghay, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Church
North Kyme, Coach & Horses (Tattershall Rd, Billinghay)
North Kyme, Coach & Horses (Tattershall Rd, Billinghay)
North Kyme, Coach & Horses (Tattershall Rd, Billinghay)

Image repeated from North Kyme. Coach & Horses is on the outskirts of Billinghay but actually in the parish of Kyme.

As Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1905 puts it "A small stream, called the Skirth, sometimes navigable, and dividing North Kyme from Billinghay, passes through the parish, which is also traversed by the old Roman Car dyke"

Listed in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1905 "Smith Joseph, Coach & Horses P.H. & farmer"

Signboard recently removed as witness the cones in the foreground - for sale when this image was taken with offers over £300,000 requested. 

DB 25 June 2020 

North Kyme, Coach & Horses, Billinghay
North Kyme, Kesteven House (Tattershall Rd, Billinghay)
North Kyme, Kesteven House (Tattershall Rd, Billinghay)
North Kyme, Kesteven House (Tattershall Rd, Billinghay)

Image repeated from North Kyme. Kesteven House is on the outskirts of Billinghay but actually in the parish of Kyme. 

Former police station dating from late C19.

https://www.lincstothepast.com/Kesteven-House--Tattershall-Road--Billinghay/239540.record?pt=S 

DB 25 June 2018 

Billinghay, Kesteven House, Police Station, North Kyme