"The church of St. Oswald is a building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and an embattled western tower with eight pinnacles and containing 5 bells:
the church was rebuilt about 1820, and restored in 1879-80, under the direction of Messrs. Carpenter and lngelow, at a cost of about £3,000, when the north aisle and chancel were lengthened, and the porch with its ancient archway, rebuilt:
the organ was presented by lady Florence Chaplin; the reredos, altar cloth and frontal, purchased at Seville by the Rev. John 0. Stephens M.A. late rector 1879-1903, are 16th century work, and were presented by him to to the church:
the east window, together with a monument with statue in white marble, executed by the late Sir J. E. Boehm bart. R.A. are memorials to Lady Florence, daughter of Goorge, 3rd Duke of Sutherland K.G. and wife of Viscount H. Chaplin; she died October 10, 1881; the lych-gate, erected from a design by G. F. Bodley esq. A.R.A., F.S.A. was. presented by the late William Ellice (d. 1892), and Lady Jane Ellice, his wife:
there are 300 sittings"