The small chapel on Normanby Road was built for the Primitive Methodists in 1862.
The chapel closed in 1918 and after some years the building was converted for use as the village hall.
Much of the ironstone church of St Mary’s is 13th century, though there was extensive restoration by James Fowler in 1871.
The stained glass, the reredos and the east wall paintings all date from then.
The 13th century chancel arch of Claxby St Mary is supported by two carved heads.
This grotesque image of a man pulling his mouth open is on the north side of the arch.
On the south side of the arch a man sticks his tongue out while both his hands support the arch.
The reredos in St Mary's church, Claxby, dates from the restoration of the church in 1871 by James Fowler.