Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Dunston
 
Dunston Fen,  White Horse Inn
Dunston Fen, White Horse Inn
Dunston Fen, White Horse Inn

White Horse Inn viewed from the opposite bank of the River Witham at Southrey.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"Amos Cornelius, White Horse P.H. Southrey Ferry (letters through Southrey, Lincoln)"

The White Horse Inn was directly linked to Southrey by a ferry at this point.

http://community.lincolnshire.gov.uk/southreyvillagehistory/section.asp?docId=106714  

DB 20 March 2019

Dunston Fen, White Horse Inn
Dunston, Butchers' Arms
Dunston, Butchers' Arms
Dunston, Butchers' Arms

Former public house. 

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1876 lists three public houses in Dunston :-

John Richardson, Butchers Arms

Robinson & Bailey, Red Lion & farmers

Martin Quincy, Ferry Inn

DB 25 June 2018

Dunston, Butchers Arms, Public House, John Richardson
Dunston, Dunston Pillar
Dunston, Dunston Pillar
Dunston, Dunston Pillar

Stands beside the A15 Sleaford Road near the junction with B1178 Tower Lane. 

Built by Sir Frances Dashwood 1751 as a land lighthouse to improve the safety of travellers. 

Originally 92 feet high.

The lantern on the top was destroyed in a storm 1808 and replaced 1810 by an oversize Coade stone statue of George III (sculptor Joseph Panzetta) to celebrate 50 years of the King's reign.

Statue removed and tower reduced in height 1940 to prevent any danger to low flying aircraft using RAF Coleby Grange.

Surviving bust of George III now displayed in the grounds of Lincoln Castle. 

DB 5 April 2018

Dunston, Pillar, Land Lighthouse, Sir Francis Dashwood, Coade Stone, George III, Joseph Panzetta
Dunston, Dunston Pillar
Dunston, Dunston Pillar
Dunston, Dunston Pillar
Drawing of the Pillar on Armstrong’s map of 1778.
Dunston, Dunston Pillar, Armstrong
Dunston, Dunston Pillar, George III Statue
Dunston, Dunston Pillar, George III Statue
Dunston, Dunston Pillar, George III Statue

Remaining part of the Coade stone statue of King George III which used to stand on top of Dunston Pillar.

Now displayed in the grounds of Lincoln Castle. 

DB 16 May 2015

Dunston, Pillar, Statue, George III, Coade Stone, Lincoln Castle
Dunston, Dunston Pillar, Inscription
Dunston, Dunston Pillar, Inscription
Dunston, Dunston Pillar, Inscription

Remains of an inscription visible on the front face of Dunston Pillar.

The words

"KING GEORGE THE THIRD"

are still clearly legible. 

DB 5 April 2018

Dunston, Pillar, Inscription, King George III
Dunston, National School
Dunston, National School
Dunston, National School

Former National School now a private house.

Datestone reads "1852".

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states

"Public Elementary School (mixed), erected in 1852 & since enlarged, for 108 children &; again enlarged in 1890 at a cost of £200, for 135 children; Archie 0.Stokes, master; Miss Bertha Phillips, infants' mistrss"

DB 25 June 2018

Dunston, national school, Public Elementary School
Dunston, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Dunston, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Dunston, Primitive Methodist Chapel

"A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Sleaford Circuit Past And Present" prepared by  Colin Shepherdson & Peter Robinson June 1996 states :-

"A Society was established circa September 1850 and a chapel erected in 1859 in Chapel Lane.

The chapel was enlarged in 1870 and the foundation stone for a schoolroom was laid on the 22.7.1925.

The chapel is still in use with a membership of 15"

Geoff Swain Collection 24 June 1994

Dunston, Primitive Methodist Chapel, church, image
Dunston, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Dunston, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Dunston, Primitive Methodist Chapel

The date stone reads "PRIMITIVE METHODIST JUBILEE CHAPEL ENLARGED 1870"

Geoff Swain Collection 24 June 1994

Dunston, Primitive Methodist Chapel, church, image
Dunston, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Dunston, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Dunston, Primitive Methodist Chapel

This chapel, hard against the pavement of Chapel Lane, was opened in 1859 and enlarged in 1870.

July 2020

Dunston, Primitive methodist Chapel;
Dunston, Railhead, Nocton Estates Light Railway
Dunston, Railhead, Nocton Estates Light Railway
Dunston, Railhead, Nocton Estates Light Railway

Mill, next to the former Nocton & Dunston Station, at the railhead of Nocton Estates Light Railway.

Potatoes arrived direct from the fields, via 23 miles of narrow gauge railway, and were transshipped to the standard gauge railway for onward delivery

Nocton Estate was bought by its main customer Smith's Crisps in 1936.

Some of the rolling stock and track was acquired by the 'Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway' when the narrow gauge potato railway gave way to road transport by about 1960.

DB 2020 

Dunston, Railhead, Nocton Estates Light Railway, Smith's Crisps
Dunston, Red Lion
Dunston, Red Lion
Dunston, Red Lion

"Set within the fabric of a 17th century cottage, the pub represents a local landmark in this part of the village.

Finished in coursed limestone rubble with natural clay pantile roofing, this building displays some of the best architectural attributes common to traditional buildings in Dunston.

Of particular note are the small dormer windows, which sit in the roof-slope, rather than dominate the building, the mullioned windows on the lower façade, and the central gabled porch with its traditional timber door"

https://www.n-kesteven.gov.uk/EasySiteWeb/GatewayLink.aspx?alId=14699 

DB 25 June 2018

Dunston, Red Lion, Public House
Dunston, St Peter
Dunston, St Peter
Dunston, St Peter

The west tower of St Peter’s at Dunston is 12th century.

R H Carpenter rebuilt the rest of the church in 1874-6, but retained the medieval north arcade and the south porch entrances.

August 2011

Dunston, St Peter, R H Carpenter
Dunston, St Peter, East Window
Dunston, St Peter, East Window
Dunston, St Peter, East Window

Memorial window for Mary Ann Robinson died 1888.  

A depiction of Christ and the four evangelists.

DB 25 June 2018

Dunston, Saint Peter, Church, east window, Mary Ann Robinson
Dunston, St Peter, Font
Dunston, St Peter, Font
Dunston, St Peter, Font

Marble font presumably dating from the 1874-6 rebuild.

DB 25 June 2018

Dunston, Saint Peter, Church, font
Dunston, St Peter, Interior
Dunston, St Peter, Interior
Dunston, St Peter, Interior

Interior view looking east.

The entire church, apart from the west tower, was rebuilt 1874-6 following a fire in 1873. 

Rebuilding work costing £4,700 was mainly paid for by the Marquess of Ripon who was Lord of the Manor.

Pews are made of pitch pine. 

DB 25 June 2018

Dunston, Saint Peter, Church, Marquess of Ripon
Dunston, St Peter, Nixon Memorial Tablet
Dunston, St Peter, Nixon Memorial Tablet
Dunston, St Peter, Nixon Memorial Tablet

C18 memorial to the Nixon family.

West tower, where it is located, survived a fire in 1873 which destroyed most of the original church.

DB 25 June 2018

Dunston, Saint Peter, Church, Nixon
Dunston, St Peter, Tower
Dunston, St Peter, Tower
Dunston, St Peter, Tower

West tower was the only part of the original church to survive a fire in 1873.

Contains a ring of 5 bells. 

DB 25 June 2018

Dunston, Saint Peter, Church, tower
Dunston, War Memorial
Dunston, War Memorial
Dunston, War Memorial

Dunston war memorial consists of this tablet fixed to St Peter's church tower and the church clock both of which were unveiled in 1921.

DB 25 June 2018

Dunston, Saint Peter, Church, war memorial, tablet, clock
Dunston, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Dunston, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Dunston, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Chapel Lodge on Middle Street, a former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel.

"The first Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1832 and was replaced by the Middle Street chapel in 1884. The chapel closed in 1953"

https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/705/methcdunstonmiddlestreet.pdf 

DB 25 June 2018

Dunston, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Chapel Lodge, church, image
Dunston, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Dunston, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Dunston, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

"A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Sleaford Circuit Past And Present" prepared by  Colin Shepherdson & Peter Robinson June 1996 states :-

"i) The first chapel was erected in 1832.

ii) The second chapel was built in Middle Street in 1884. The last service was held on the 21.6.1953 and the chapel is now converted into a dwelling house"

Geoff Swain Collection 24 June 1994

Dunston, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Chapel Lodge, church, image