Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-
"The church of St. Mary is an edifice of stone of the Norman, Early English and Decorated periods, consisting of chancel, with chantry chapel on the north side, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with a lofty spire and containing 3 bells and a clock:
the church contains several memorials to the Heneage family:
in the chantry chapel is a floor slab with effigies in brass of John Heneage, ob. 1435 in a civilian's dress, and Alice, his wife in a long-sleeved gown and horned head-dress:
a smaller mural brass, also in the chantry, is inscribed to John Heneage. ob. 1530, and Katherine, his wife:
against the north wall of the chancel is a small altar tomb of Purbeck marble, with a reredos of the same material, and a monument with effigies in coloured brass, kneeling before a desk, to Sir Thomas Heanage kt. ob. 1553, Katherine (Skipwith), his wife, and his daughter Elizabeth, wife of Sir Wllliam Willoughby kt, 1st Baron Willoughby, of Parham; the figure of the knight is attired in a tabard of his arms:
against the west wall is the tomb of John Heneage, ob. 1559, and Anne (Cope), his wife, with effigies of both, the former being in complete armour, under a double arcaded canopy supported by fluted columns: the tomb is of stone, partially painted, and above it are funeral helms and spurs:
next is a grand altar tomb of alabaster, with effigy, to Sir George Heneage kt. ob. I594; the figure, reclining on a mat, with the head on a cushion, is in full armour, richly gilt, and at the feet a sejant greyhound:
on the south side of the chapel is a finely sculptured monument, with many symbolical figures and inscriptions, to William Heneage, ob. 1610, aet. 9I, and Anne (Fishbourne), ob. 1585, and Jane (Brussels), ob. I596, his wives: there are kneeling effigies of himself and his first wife, and below are figures of children:
there is also a mural monument to Sir George Heneage, ob. 1659, with symbolical carvings, erected in 1692, and another to George Heneage, and Mary (Petre) and Elizabeth (Hemloke), his wives:
a small slab of the 15th century commemorates William Maltby:
in I897 various gifts were made to the church in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria:
there are 180 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1674"
DB 19 May 2019