Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Manby
 
Manby, St Mary
Manby, St Mary
Manby, St Mary

St Mary’s  has a tall 15th century west tower and is largely Perpendicular in style.

It is built in greenstone with limestone dressings.

The chancel, rebuilt in 1889, has a beautiful east window by Sir Ninian Comper.

September 2012

Manby, St Mark, Ninian Comper, Anglo-Saxon slab
Manby, St Mary
Manby, St Mary
Manby, St Mary

St Mary’s  has a tall 15th century west tower and is largely Perpendicular in style.

The chancel, rebuilt in 1889, has a beautiful east window by Sir Ninian Comper.

Within the church is part of a well-preserved Anglo-Saxon slab with interlace decoration.

September 2012

Manby, St Mark, Ninian Comper
Manby, St Mary
Manby, St Mary
Manby, St Mary

This well-preserved late Anglo Saxon slab is inside St Mark's church.

It has a symmetrical pattern of interlaced decoration with rope moulding along the edges.

June 2015

Manby, St Mark church, Anglo Saxon slab
Manby, St Mary
Manby, St Mary
Manby, St Mary

The nave windows of St Mark's church are in Perpendicular style.

June 2015

Manby, St Mark church
Manby, St Mary
Manby, St Mary
Manby, St Mary

View of the Perpendicular tower, typical in East Lincolnshire style and material (Spilsby Sandstone or greenstone with limestone dressing).

June 2015

Manby, St Mark church
Manby, Village Sign
Manby, Village Sign
Manby, Village Sign
A strong reminder of the RAF station at Manby is given by this fine memorial at the south-east corner of the crossroads on B1200 (the boundary between Grimoldby and Manby)
 
RAF Manby opened 1938 and closed 1974. During WW2 it was the base for the Air Armaments School; in 1960s it hosted the RAF Flying School. The plane on display is a Jet Provost from the Flying School days.
 
Jean Howard, August 2021
Manby, jet provost, village sign