St Mary's church viewed from Bridge Street with the village sign visible bottom left.
Kelly's Directory 1919 states "The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, with south chantry chapel, nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower, with a broach spire of the Early Decorated period, containing a clock and 5 bells:
near the chancel arch, previous to the restoration, was the ancient entrance to the rood loft:
the south aisle arcade is Early English, and that of the north aisle Decorated:
the Perpendicular south porch is adorned with pinnacles at its angles, and has three canopied niches over the arch:
in the chantry chapel are several monuments of the Thorold family, the oldest, lately removed to the east end of the south aisle, being a tomb of Purbeck marble, with a reredos of the same material rising above it, and inscribed to William Thorold esq. ob. 1569: five shields of arms surround the base:
in the chantry chapel of the south aisle is a similar tomb with reredos and canopy, and an alabaster effigy in the costume and armour of the late 16th century, to Sir Nathaniel Thorold knt. son of the William Thorold above mentioned, who was sheriff of Lincolnshire in 1570, and died in 1594; at the back are three shields of arms, and below the effigy the letters N.T. and the date 1602, supposed to indicate the time of the erection of the monument:
in the south aisle is a memorial to Annie (Thorold), widow of Sir Thomas Hodgson knt. of Bramwick, ob. 1719, and foundress of the almshouse at Ruskington; there are also several later monuments of the Thorold family:
the chancel was rebuilt in 1878-80 at a cost, inclusive of minor restorations, of £2,300, and is a rich specimen of the Early English style: the reredos is a memorial: all the windows are stained: the east window being the gift of the late Rt. Rev. Anthony Wilson Thorold D.D. Bishop of Winchester 1891-95, and son of the Rev. Edward Thorold, sometime rector of Hougham with Marston, as a memorial to his sister, Frances Thomasine Thorold :
the whole of the wood work, including the roofs, flooring, seats, pulpit and reading desk, was restored at a further cost of £850, and an organ was erected at a cost of £400:
there are 180 sittings"
DB 28 May 2020