Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Industry - Craft Industry
 
Anwick, County Forge
Anwick, County Forge
Anwick, County Forge

"House, shoeing bay and forge in the Gothick taste. Early C19, altered C20"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1168331 

An entry in Kelly's Directory 1905 reads "Hart Walter, blacksmith"

DB 2020

Anwick, smithy, blacksmith, County Forge
Anwick, Smithy
Anwick, Smithy
Anwick, Smithy

Two slated conical-roofed Gothic buildings have a rectangular link.

One end houses the village smithy, the other living accommodation.

The building dates around 1800 with later alterations and was refurbished in 2003.

It now produces decorative iron work and has an on-site gallery.

Stewart Squires, 2004

Anwick, smithy, blacksmith,
Anwick, Smithy
Anwick, Smithy
Anwick, Smithy

This unusual composite building dates from c.1800 with later alterations.

Two slate roofed conical "pavilions” are linked by a rectangular block. The smithy was at one end.

June 2013

Anwick, smithy
Authorpe, Smithy
Authorpe, Smithy
Authorpe, Smithy

This tiny building on a bend in the main road may be easily missed. Behind the dense foliage along the side wall, a brick arched opening can be seen.
 
The Smithy is marked on the OS 1905 6” Map.

Jean Howard, 2 May 2021

Authorpe Smithy
Belchford, Smithy
Belchford, Smithy
Belchford, Smithy

Development site opposite the Blue Bell

Remains of former smithy.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1885 and also the 1919 edition lists George Howard as the village blacksmith.

DB 3 September 2018

Belchford, Smithy, George Howard, blacksmith
Belton Village, Post Office & Smithy
Belton Village, Post Office & Smithy
Belton Village, Post Office & Smithy

"Estate cottage, now a house, post office and smithy. Cottage C17, remodelled 1838; smithy 1838. Both by Anthony Salvin"

"One of several estate buildings by Salvin for John, first Earl Brownlow, of Belton House"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1298453 

Georgian "GR" post box still in use.

DB 25 April 2018 

Belton Kesteven, Post Office, Smithy, Forge, Anthony Salvin, Earl Brownlow, Belton House
Brant Broughton, Forge, High Street
Brant Broughton, Forge, High Street
Brant Broughton, Forge, High Street

Former forge now the village shop. 

Shop website has a sepia photograph of the forge taken in 1906 :-

http://www.theoldforgevillageshop.co.uk/ 

Shown as a smithy on 25 inch Ordnance Survey map published 1887.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061896 

DB 2 July 2018

Brant Broughton, Forge, Smithy
Easton, Easton Hall, Walled Gardens, Smithy
Easton, Easton Hall, Walled Gardens, Smithy
Easton, Easton Hall, Walled Gardens, Smithy

Easton Walled Gardens are particularly well known for the winter snowdrops.

The building in the background marked as a Smithy on OS 25 inch map published 1904 - next to it there was a gasometer.

DB 20 February 2010

Easton Walled Gardens, snowdrop
Ewerby, Smithy
Ewerby, Smithy
Ewerby, Smithy

Former smithy now a private house.

Listed in Kelly's Directory 1930 "Claydon John William, blacksmith"

DB 26 April 2021

Ewerby, Smithy
Gayton le Marsh, Smithy
Gayton le Marsh, Smithy
Gayton le Marsh, Smithy

This small building, designated a smithy on the 1905 25” map, stands at the fork of Main Road and Back Lane.
 
Samuel and John White are listed as blacksmith and wheelwright respectively from 1842 until c 1870. Although two other smiths briefly took the smithy on, both trades had disappeared by 1892.
 
Now the largest portion of the building is possibly a store or garage accessed through double doors in the right-hand end, but a recess with seat and noticeboard is provided for public use.

Jean Howard, 9 May 2021

Gayton Le Marsh, Smithy, Samuel John White
Gosberton, Blacksmith
Gosberton, Blacksmith
Gosberton, Blacksmith
Outside the blacksmith’s shop at Gosberton in 1911.
 
From the left: John William Braybrooks Snr, Jack Spriggs, Tom Braybrooks, Arthur Dalton.
Gosberton, blacksmith, Braybrooks, Jack Spriggs, Arthur Dalton
Grantham, Harrison Basket-Maker
Grantham, Harrison Basket-Maker
Grantham, Harrison Basket-Maker

Messrs Harrison & Sons (1710-1965) made basketware, fine cane furniture, bath chairs and baby carriages.

Their business was on the west side of Watergate and they had osier beds, shown here, at Dysart Road and other locations on the south-west of the town. 

Grantham, Harrison & Co, Watergate, basket making,
Hainton, Smithy
Hainton, Smithy
Hainton, Smithy

Former smithy.

Blacksmith listed in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 "Jackson Ellen (Mrs.), blacksmith" and in White's Directory 1856 "Cook Thomas, blacksmith"

DB 1 June 2019

Hainton, Smithy
Heckington, Blacksmith, Station Road
Heckington, Blacksmith, Station Road
Heckington, Blacksmith, Station Road

"village blacksmith, known as Cook’s Corner after the family that ran the business for many years in the late 19th and early 20th Century.

Famous for once making a boot out of a leather blacksmith’s apron for a lame elephant belonging to a travelling circus, which was passing through"

http://www.heckingtonvillagetrust.org.uk/a-walk-around-heckington.html 

Signboard states

"NICHOLAS MARSHALL / BLACKSMITH / EST 1980"

DB 14 July 2018

Heckington, blacksmith, smithy, Cook’s Corner, NICHOLAS MARSHALL
Horncastle, Wheelwright's Furnace
Horncastle, Wheelwright's Furnace
Horncastle, Wheelwright's Furnace

The wheelwright's furnace or oven at 45 Foundry Street is a rare survival.

Metal tyres, standing vertically, were heated on the hearth of the oven before fitting over cart or wagon wheels in the wheelwright's yard alongside.

Matthew Scaman (father and then son) were the first wheelwrights here; Charles Twell followed in the 1920s.

Chris Lester, 2010

Horncastle, wheelwright furnace, Scaman, Twell,
Owston Ferry, Smithy
Owston Ferry, Smithy
Owston Ferry, Smithy

"Smithy and engineering shop. 1859 for George Laming; bay to right raised to 2 storeys in later C19 - early C20"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1083224 

Now the Owston Ferry Museum & Heritage Centre.

DB 21 August 2018

Owston Ferry, Smithy, engineering
Owston Ferry, Smithy
Owston Ferry, Smithy
Owston Ferry, Smithy

Smithy in action during a museum open day.

"The business was owned by the Laming family, and when the last member, George Laming, died in 1988 the whole complex was put up for sale ... The whole complex was bought by Mr Arthur Mills, who donated the Smithy to the Owston Ferry History Society"

DB 2 September 2018

Owston Ferry, Smithy
Snelland, Blacksmith's Shop
Snelland, Blacksmith's Shop
Snelland, Blacksmith's Shop

Many villages had simple workshops like this for a blacksmith or wheelwright. Good light and wide doors were essential features.

This workshop is close to the former railway station (TF 073 805).

The last blacksmith here was William Thompson.

2008

It was converted into a dwelling 2016-17

Snelland, Blacksmith shop, William Thompson
Spalding, Chain Bridge Forge
Spalding, Chain Bridge Forge
Spalding, Chain Bridge Forge

The brick and pantiled forge on High Street near the former Chain Bridge over the Welland dates from about 1800.

Throughout the 19th century much of the work of the smithy was concerned with boats and river traffic.

The business was in the hands of the Dodd family from 1899 till the 1980s when the business faced closure.

Spalding, forge, Chain Bridge, Dodd,
Welbourn, Forge
Welbourn, Forge
Welbourn, Forge

"The former blacksmith’s forge and farrier’s workshop (Grade 2 listed) of 1864 (still in use) is a reminder of both our agricultural heritage and the commitment to rural improvements in Victorian England by the Marquis of Ripon, the then owner of the Welbourn estate. 

https://www.n-kesteven.gov.uk/_resources/assets/attachment/full/0/11983.pdf 

Marked as a smithy on the OS 25 inch map published 1905. 

DB 24 June 2018

Welbourn, Forge, farrier’s workshop, Marquis of Ripon, smithy
Welbourn, Forge
Welbourn, Forge
Welbourn, Forge

"In 1987, North Kesteven District Council purchased the workshop and, in collaboration with Welbourn Parish Council and a group of local volunteers, the building has been repaired and rewired.

In 2000 the forge fires were lit for the first time in over 30 years and the volunteer group organised the first Open Day.

Members of the Volunteer Group continue to meet on the first Saturday of each month, when the forge is open to visitors"

http://www.ridgesandfurrowstrail.org/welbourn-forge/ 

DB 24 June 2018

Welbourn, Forge, smithy
Welbourn, Forge
Welbourn, Forge
Welbourn, Forge

Horseshoe symbol at side of building beneath chimney.

Date reading as 1864? 

DB 2020

Welbourn, Forge, Smithy