Looking west towards the tower arch.
White's Directory 1872 has :-
"The Church (St. Nicholas) is a very beautiful specimen of the Early Perpendicular style of architecture, and was built probably during the transition from the Decorated to that style, some time between 1360 and 1420.
It consists of nave, with a clerestory over, north and south aisles, having each a chapel, and a tower with six bells, and had formerly a chancel, which was taken down in 1706, when its arch was closed with brickwork.
The north and the south chapels are each separated from the nave and aisle by carved oak screens of excellent design and finish, and still in good preservation.
The north chapel has just been restored under the care and at the cost of J. Ellett Brogden, Esq., the proprietor of the Lincoln Gazette, who resides at Addlethorpe House.
Some of the oak benches remain in the nave; many unfortunately having been destroyed to make way for pews, unsightly erections of the last century.
The tower is less ornate than the rest of the building, which is very richly ornamented, especially on the north side. The buttresses terminate in carved pinnacles. Springing from these, on the north side, a little below the parapet, are six curiously carved, projecting, half-length, winged figures, three of them bearing scrolls, only two of which are now legible. That to the west bears the inscription, "Of God sayng coms no ill." The other has the words," God for his mcy. bryng: Ha to blys yet ha pd. to yis." The second figure from the east end is crowned; and the tradition still remains in the parish that it was intended for an effigy of King John, a tradition which may probably contain some truth, as that king gave by a charter, in the first year of his reign, the advowson to the Priory of Spalding. Time, and perhaps ill-treatment, have so marred the features, that it is now impossible to conjecture whom it was meant to represent.
On the south porch there still remains the old gable cross, sculptured on both sides; that on the south representing the Crucifixion, the north a Madonna and Child. The roof is of oak, richly ornamented at the angles with shields and foliage and curious embossments. The beams are supported by crowned angel corbels; some of the work still retaining much of its original beauty.
Part of the old chancel screen still remains affixed to the wall at the east end. Opposite to this, and stretching across the tower arch, is another screen of beautiful workmanship, standing from ten to twelve feet high, in the pediment of the central compartment of which is carved the inscription, " Orate p. anima Johanis Dudick senior et uxor ejus."
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £9. 10s. 2d., and now at £154, is in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Whitworth, who is also vicar of Thorpe St. Peter, near Boston, where he resides. The Rev. James Spawforth, who resides at Ingoldmells, is curate in charge.
The Rectory House is an old building, erected in 1729, and here are about 5 acres of glebe"
DB 11 September 2022