The stone and brick church of St Helen was built in 1747. The wood and lead cupola at the west end was added in Victorian times.
St Helen's church is built of stone, but the south and west walls are faced in red brick with stone plinth and quoins.
The windows on this elevation with their segmented heads have a Dutch appearance.
The west wall of the church is built of red brick with stone quoins.
The lower part of the brickwork is in Flemish bond (as is the south wall) but higher in the gable - presumably rebuilt at some point - it is irregular.
Did the small stone roundel above the door once carry the date of construction?
The plain but decidedly calm and attractive interior of St Helen's.
The two minute vestries either side of the altar are reminiscent of confessional boxes.
This derelict chapel, which closed for worship in 1996, was the second chapel built on this site for the Wesleyan Methodists.
It dates from 1842.
Chris Squires, 2021