Kelly's Directory 1930 states :-
"The church of St. Alkmund, restored in 1877, at a cost of £1,735, under the direction of Mr. James Fowler, architect, of Louth, is an edifice of stone, chiefly in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, with chantry chapel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a western tower containing one bell:
the east and south windows of the chancel are stained, being memorials to G. B. Luard esq. and to a rector:
considerable portions of the original Early English church remain:
in the chapel stands the ancient font, portions of effigies and a tomb with recumbent effigy to Robert Comyng, rector, ob. 1434 :
a new pulpit and font, of Caen stone and marble, have been placed in the church:
the restoration included the re-building of a north aisle, of the former existence of which the arches and pillars of an arcade, built up in the north wall, afforded evidence:
in the course of the restoration some fragments of Norman work were discovered, and an ogee arch between the chancel and chapel, beneath which lay a skeleton, conjectured to be that of Walter, rector, 1312: the arch could not be restored :
there are 180 sittings ...
In the churchyard is a stone cross, erected as a memorial to all who fell in the Great War, 1914-18 ; the cost was defrayed by public subscription"
DB 14 May 2023