Kelly's Directory 1930 states :-
"The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an ancient edifice of sandstone, of the Decorated and Perpendicular periods, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, south porch, and an embattled western brick tower containing 3 bells:
screens, elaborately carved, enclose the eastern portion of the aisles, and form chantry chapels, and a similar screen divides the nave and chancel:
the font is Decorated, and exhibits on its panels the symbols of Our Lord's Passion:
hung in the tower is a singular painting, the work of one Robert Stephenson, which represents in a grotesque and fanciful manner the defeat of the Spanish Armada:
the hostile fleet is here symbolised by a huge red dragon, outstretched across the sea between the coasts of England, Ireland, France and Scotland, which appear at the corners of the picture ; on the English coast troops appear massed beneath the Royal Standard, and a short distance off the little English fleet awaits the Spaniards; below are the following lines :â€”
"Spaine's proud Armada with great strength and power, Great Britain's state came gapeing to devour, This Dragon's guts, like Pharoas scattered hoast, Lay splitt and drowned upon the Irish coast, For of eight score save two ships sent from Spaine But twenty-five scarce sound returned again. Non nobis Domine :"
in the chancel is a piscine, an old tomb and a low side window:
the church, with the exception of the tower, was completely restored in 1890, as a memorial to C. L. Massingberd esq. lord of the manor: a large portion was rebuilt, the roof of the nave and south aisle renewed, and the chancel roof restored to its original pitch: several windows were furnished with tracery and other blocked windows reopened: the whole interior was reseated, the chancel stalls being of oak: a pulpit of richly carved oak and a lectern were also added ; the total cost was about £1,600:
the east window was restored in memory of the Rev. Thomas Scott, the well-known commentator, who was born here 16 Feb. 1747:
a copper tablet was placed on the south wall of the church in 1922, as a memorial to the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18:
there are 190 sittings"
DB 11 September 2022