Looking east towards the chancel.
Kelly's Directory 1930 reports :-
"The church of SS. Peter and Paul; conspicuous both from its size and commanding position, is a building of Portland stone, almost wholly of Late Perpendicular date, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of five bays, with embattled parapet, aisles, north and south porches and a fine massive western tower, with turret on the south-east, enriched canopied niches on its western face, and terminating in a parapet with ornamental finials, surmounted by 16 iron crosses and containing a clock and 8 bells, the third and fifth of which were added in 1616, by the devise of Mr. John Holden, and the tenor, the gift of Mr. John Dawson, in 1860:
from the summit of the tower a very extensive view is obtained over the broad flat marshy district around:
the eastern portion of the aisles once formed chantry chapels, but the screens enclosing them were removed about 1865, and portions are ,now attached to the chancel walls ; a chancel screen, partly consisting of the old carved oak, was erected in 1891, at a cost of £100:
the pulpit, dating from 1623, is a good example of its time, and was also the result of Mr. Holden's bequest :
on the north wall is a brass inscribed with a most singular interrogatory epitaph to Leonard Palmer, gent. ob. 1610, his wife Catherine, two sons and three daughters:
the font has a beautifully carved oak canopy of the same date and design as the pulpit :
the lectern, carved by Mr. Good, a local artist, was presented by subscription in 1874:
the organ was the gift of the Rev. W. G. Tozer D.D. successively bishop of Zanzibar, Jamaica and Honduras, and vicar of Burgh 1857-63:
the church was reseated in 1889:
the south wall was rebuilt and the south aisle reroofed in 1909:
in 1912 a carved reredos was placed in the church and in 1919 two beautiful stained glass windows were added:
a side chapel, enclosing a Jacobean screen, was erected in 1924 as a private memorial of the Great War 1914-18, by the vicar, Rev. Gerald Hollidge Harries M.C., MA.: there are 520 sittings"
DB 11 September 2022