The Lincoln to Boston line was opened in 1848 as part of the Great Northern Railway's Lincolnshire Loop Line. What was then called Kirkstead station was renamed Woodhall Junction in 1922.
The station buildings had been extended in 1855 when it became the junction for the branch line to Horncastle.
A busy ferry here, over the River Witham, was replaced by a swing bridge in 1891 and reached by the level crossing which the Lincoln bound train in this view is about to cross. It was replaced in turn in 1968 by the bridge from which this photograph is taken.
The passenger service to Horncastle ceased in 1954 and to Lincoln in 1970. Goods trains continued to run serving the goods yards here and at Horncastle until April 1971.
The cast iron gent's urinal from this station can be seen in the Museum of Lincolnshire Life in Lincoln.
Peter Grey Archive, 1969