Between Boston and Spalding, Kirton station opened in 1848 and is shown here in 1970, on the last weekend before the line closed.
On 11 September 1961 it was one of 25 rural stations in the County that lost its passenger trains, but goods trains continued to call until 1964.
The large building, centre right, was the potato warehouse built by the "Potato King", William Dennis. By 1918 Dennis was farming some 12,000 acres in the County, including 2000 acres at Kirton. Potatoes were at one time a major traffic for the railway.
Everything in this view has now gone. A roundabout now occupies the site, the railway now the route of the A16 with all the land to the right of the railway redeveloped for housing.
Peter Grey Archive, 1970