This bridge, carrying the Lincoln Avoiding Line over the River Witham
in the foreground and the drain beyond, behind the garages, was the
City's longest railway bridge. It was 96 metres, (315 feet), long.
The Firth Road premises of what is now Siemens can be seen through and beyond the bridge.
The Avoiding Line opened in 1882 as a railway bypass around the City,
part of the route of the Great Eastern and Great Northern Joint Railway
carrying trains between East Anglia, to south Yorkshire and beyond.
This part of that route was closed in 1983 and dismantled the following year, at which time this bridge was demolished.
Peter Grey Archive, 1984