This large Elizabethan house, occupied at various times by Monsons and Peacocks, fell into ruin and was finally abandoned in the 1940s.
The hall was replaced by a new hall on an adjacent site in 1875.
Postcard from the 1920s
The Primitive Methodist Chapel on Chapel Lane was built in 1899.
It replaced a building of similar size built 50 years earlier.
View of the chapel from the south-east. The Sunday school room is in the foreground.
A clearly inscribed datestone is set in the gable at the centre of the chapel front.
The exterior of the large church of St John the Baptist is largely 16th century or later. Inside, however, are impressive Norman arcades of the late 12th century.
The chancel arch is 13th century, and there is early 14th century tracery in the chancel windows.
Much restoration was carried out in the early 20th century.
An earlier view of St John Baptist church from the south-east.
Peter Kirk Collection, 1990
St John Baptist church has Norman 3-bay arcades.
The round piers of the arcades have flat capitals with scallop decoration.
Norman three bay arcades north and south. Chancel east window is late perpendicular in style.
Pier capitals are decorated with scallops all different.
DB 12 May 2013
In the north aisle is a pier with medieval graffiti - two hands with dots on the fingers.
DB 12 May 2013
Automobile Association plaque mounted on what was the village school and is now the village hall.
Presumably original early C20 as it is mentioned in the Historic England listing.