Orford, Site Of Orford Priory
Part of the site of Orford Priory which straddles the boundary between Binbrook and Stainton Le Vale.
"The remains of the Premonstratensian nunnery of Orford survive as a substantial group of earthworks"
"The Premonstratensian canonesses at Orford first appear in documents of the period 1155-1160.
The nunnery church and land were traditionally granted to Newsham Abbey by Ralph de Aubigny in the time of Henry II (1154-1189).
At its dissolution in 1539 the nunnery was granted to Robert Tyrwhitt who, in common with his successors, let the site"
DB 10 October 2018
Orford, Priory, Binbrook, Stainton Le Vale, Premonstratensian, nunnery