Holy Trinity viewed from the top of Tattershall Castle.
The entry in Kelly's Directory 1930 reads "The church of the Holy Trinity, formerly collegiate, is a beautiful cruciform structure of Ancaster stone, in the Perpendicular style, erected in connection with the college founded here 17 Henry VI. (1438-9) by Sir Ralph de Cromwell :
its patronal names are the Holy Trinity, the Blessed Virgin, SS. Peter, John the Evangelist and John the Baptist :
the church was unfinished at Cromwell's death in 1455, but was completed by William of Waynflete, bishop of Winchester and founder of Magdalen College, Oxford, whose arms appear over the north porch :
it consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles, north porch, lofty transepts and a massive western tower with four pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells:
the greater part of the ancient stained glass, representing sacred objects, figures of saints, besides many shields of arms, was removed in 1754 ; some portions of it may be seen in the church of St. Martin, Stamford, and some pieces which were left in the clerestory window of Tattershall, because ladders at the time of the general removal would not reach them, are now collected and arranged in the lower half of the east window of the church :
the chancel retains three sedilia, a piscina and an aumbry, and there are also, piscina in both transepts, and in the north porch a holy water stoup ;
the stone screen or pulpitum was the gift of Robert de Whalley, a member of the college, in 1523, who was buried beneath its archway; it has a central passage; at the north end is a staircase leading to the loft above, and at the south a door leading to a small room, now used as a sacristy, lighted by three quatre-foils opening to the nave :
on either side of the western entrance is a recess, once having an altar, the pillar piscina remaining: above the entrance on the east side is a three-sided projection, within which are two stone book rests :
of the canopied choir stalls in the north transept museum there are still some slight remains:
the chancel pulpit is of plain deal wood : the nave pulpit is contemporary with the church, with fine carved work :
tacked on there is a brass on a step in the choir to Hugh de Goudeby (Gautby), supervisor to Ralph de Cromwell, ob. 1411, and in the north transept is a very fine but mutilated brass with effigies and canopy to Ralph, 3rd baron Cromwell, lord treasurer to Henry VI. founder of the College and Castle, ob. 1455 ; the brass of Margaret (Dayncourt) his wife, ob. 1454, has disappeared the canopy had figures of SS. Cornelius, George, Maurice and Peter :
in the north transept is a slab of Purbeck marble, with brass effigy and inscription to Matilda or Maude (Stanhope), wife of Robert, 6th baron Willoughby de Eresby, and niece of the above Ralph, Lord Cromwell, and a benefactress to the College, ob. 1497:
there also is a canopied brass, highly enriched with figures of saints, effigy and inscription to Joan (Stanhope), wife of Sir Humphrey Bourchier, 4th baron Cromwell, ob. 1479 ; there are also three brasses of ecclesiastics, the finest being that of the Provost Warde, or possibly John Gigur, warden of the College, with large effigy in cope and other vestments, c. 1510 ; next is a brass, with vested effigy and a rhyming Latin inscription of eight couplets, to William Moor S.T.P. second provost, canon of York, and rector of Leadenham, ob. 1456 ; the third is a similar effigy, with inscription, to William Symson, chaplain to Edward Hevyn, ob. 1519:
there are 520 sittings"
DB 25 April 2015