Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Aby
 
Aby, All Saints
Aby, All Saints
Aby, All Saints

This timber and corrugated iron building, costing £95, was erected in 1888 on the site of the medieval church which dated from the thirteenth century and was demolished in 1660.

Peter Kirk Collection, 23 July 1997

Aby, All Saints, Church, mortuary chapel
Aby, All Saints
Aby, All Saints
Aby, All Saints

This building was demolished at about the turn of the 21st century. It had served as a mortuary chapel in the last few years oif its existence.

Richard Oliver, 1987

Aby, All Saints church
Aby, All Saints
Aby, All Saints
Aby, All Saints

This is the earliest of the three photographs shown here. At this time the church still had the vestige of a bellcote over the west end.

Richard Oliver, 1981

Aby, All Saints church
Aby, Railway Shed
Aby, Railway Shed
Aby, Railway Shed

The GNR East Lincolnshire line from Peterborough to Grimsby via Spalding and Boston provided a good passenger service for the eastern part of Lincolnshire to and from London until it closed post-Beeching in 1970.

As with other rural stations on the route, Aby had a short siding with a goods shed designed to provide shelter for loaded railway wagons.

This substantial red brick building now provides good storage for the local landowner.

Ken Redmore, 2004 

Aby, railway, goods shed, GNR
Claythorpe Manor
Claythorpe Manor
Claythorpe Manor

This building, originally a home of the Hussey family, contains Elizabethan brickwork and timber of a similar age.

The house once had a thatched roof but this was tiled soon after the East Lincolnshire Railway was built nearby.

19th and 20th century occupants include J F Rawnsley and the Palethorpe family.

H D Martineau, c.1980

Aby, Claythorpe Manor, Hussey, J F Rawnsley, Palethorpe