Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Gosberton
 
Gosberton, Bell Inn
Gosberton, Bell Inn
Gosberton, Bell Inn

White's Directory of Lincolnshire lists 4 inns and taverns in Gosberton village :-

Bell Inn, Mary Ellis

Duke of York, Wm. Hilton

Five Bells, Thomas Riggall

Green Man, John Underwood

DB 28 April 2019

Gosberton, Bell Inn, Public House
Gosberton, Holme Lea House
Gosberton, Holme Lea House
Gosberton, Holme Lea House

"Former house, now 2 houses. 1794, altered early C20 following fire"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1308884 

DB 16 June 2019 

Gosberton, Holme Lea House
Gosberton, Public Hall
Gosberton, Public Hall
Gosberton, Public Hall

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states "Gosberton Public Hall built in 1872, on a site given by Earl Brownlow, will seat about 350 persons"

DB 16 June 2019

Gosberton, Public Hall, Earl Brownlow
Gosberton, Public Hall
Gosberton, Public Hall
Gosberton, Public Hall

"1872 GOSBERTON PUBLIC HALL"

DB 16 June 2019

Gosberton, Public Hall
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul

St Peter and St Paul is a large, cruciform church with evidence of Norman origins.

It has a fine central tower and crocketed spire.

The spacious interior is largely Perpendicular, lit by many fine Perpendicular windows, especially those of the transepts.

September 2011

Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a large cruciform building of stone, chiefly in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, with south chapel, nave, transepts, south porch and an embattled tower with pinnacles and spire and containing a clock and 6 bells:

the tower and spire were repaired and strengthened and a new weathercock fixed about 1896:

in 1896-7 the church was extensively repaired at a cost of over £3,000:

the chancel was rebuilt and extended eastward, and the roofs of the nave and aisles renewed:

the stained east window was the gift of Samuel Everard esq.:

there are two in the north aisle to members of the Dods family, besides others :

a new organ, purchased by subscription at a cost of £250, and choir seats were added in 1882 :

in 1896 the church was re floored and reseated, and the south chapel new roofed and reseated:

since then the roofs of the transepts have been renewed in oak and raised to the original pitch, a new pulpit of oak and marble, and a carved oak table provided:

there are 550 sittings"

DB 26 April 2015 

Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Church
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel

Restoration of the church began in 1864 :-

"The chancel underwent major alteration: its north and east walls were demolished and the roof which had been low-pitched like that of the Lady Chapel removed.

In the rebuilding the chancel was lengthened some three feet eastwards, the present three-light east window inserted and the whole crowned with the present steeply pitched roof"

Mr Browing was the architect responsible. 

http://www.gosberton.org/content/pages/documents/1450199243.pdf 

Flower Festival in progress. 

DB 26 April 2015

Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Church, chancel, Browing
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel

Looking from the chancel westward through the crossing and into the nave.

Christmas Tree Festival in progress. 

DB 13 December 2014

Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Church
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel

In 1911 the reredos was installed behind the high altar.

"The panels were painted by Mrs E F Welby Everard: in the centre is a Virgin and Child after Bennozzo Gozzoli, on either side figures after Fra Lippo Lippi’s Annunciation, and on the doors the Company of Heaven after Fra Angelico"

http://www.gosberton.org/content/pages/documents/1450199243.pdf 

DB 28 April 2019

Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Church, Mrs E F Welby Everard
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel, East Window
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel, East Window
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Chancel, East Window

"The east window is a C19 3 light window with Geometric tracery"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1064425 

Kelly's Directory 1919 states "the stained east window was the gift of Samuel Everard esq."

DB 28 April 2019

Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Church
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Crossing
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Crossing
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Crossing

"The crossing is lierne vaulted with moulded ribs, bosses and circular bell hole filled with vaulting ribs"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1064425 

DB 28 April 2019 

Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Church, crossing
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Font
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Font
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Font

"C14 octagonal font with cusped panels, on C19 stem"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1064425 

28 April 2019

Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Church, font
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Nave
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Nave
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Nave

Looking east from the nave through the C15 tower arches and into the chancel. 

"Early C15, 4 bay nave arcades"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1064425 

DB 6 May 2018

Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Church
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Nave, Pulpit
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Nave, Pulpit
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Nave, Pulpit

The pulpit was "designed by Tapper of Bodley and Garner’s and executed by Bridgeman.

It is oak on a Frosterley marble base and carries figures of Saints Peter, Paul, Aidan and Augustine"

http://www.gosberton.org/content/pages/documents/1450199243.pdf 

DB 6 May 2018

Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Church, pulpit
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Organ
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Organ
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Organ

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states "a new organ, purchased by subscription at a cost of £250, and choir seats were added in 1882"

The plaque on the front of the organ reads "THE ELECTRIC MOVEMENT OF THIS ORGAN WAS INSTALLED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION IN MEMORY OF NINA FLORENCE NOBLE FOR 46 YEARS ORGANIST WHO DIED ON JUNE 23RD. 1943" 

For a fuller history including use of a barrel organ see :-

http://www.gosberton.org/content/pages/documents/1450199243.pdf 

DB 28 April 2019

Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Church, organ
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Porch
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Porch
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Porch

As with most of the church, the south porch at Gosberton was built in Perpendicular style.

September 2011

Gosberton,
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Porch
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Porch
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Porch

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-

"The Church (St. Peter and St. Paul,) is a large and handsome building, with a tower in the centre, containing five bells, and surmounted by a richly crocketted spire.

In the vestry are two recumbent figures of a knight and lady.

Its beautiful pulpit and font have recently been restored, and an elaborately carved reading desk erected.

The living is a discharged vicarage, valued at only £130, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln, and incumbency of the Rev. John Topham, M.A., who has a neat Vicarage House, in the Elizabethan style, erected by subscription in 1851.

The Rev. Fdk. Geo. Burnaby is impropriator of the rectorial tithes, formerly belonging to the Calthrops who were seated here, like the Dods, from the time of the Conquest"

DB 6 May 2018

Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Church, porch
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, South Chapel
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, South Chapel
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, South Chapel

"The great phase of rebuilding which was to give us the church as we know it today began in the closing years of the thirteenth century and lasted for something like 150 years.

The south wall of the chancel was pierced with a two- bay arcade, and a south chancel chapel thrown out.

The ogee arched sedilia and piscina are largely original, although the easternmost seat was raised when the altar step was introduced in the 1890’s, and the finials belong to the same period.

There seems to be no early authority for calling this chapel the Lady Chapel but such has been the practice since the nineteenth century"

http://www.gosberton.org/content/pages/documents/1450199243.pdf 

DB 6 May 2018

Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Church
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, South Chapel, East Window
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, South Chapel, East Window
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, South Chapel, East Window

"C17 4 light chamfered mullioned window in square surround to south chapel east wall"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1064425 

Work began in January 1896 "east windows filled by T. W. Camm of Smethwick with glass representing the women at the empty tomb and the journey to Emmaus"

http://www.gosberton.org/content/pages/documents/1450199243.pdf 

"Thomas William Camm (1839 – 1912) was an English stained glass designer and manufacturer"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._W._Camm 

DB 6 May 2018

Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Church, stained glass, window, Thomas William Camm
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, South Transept, Effigies
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, South Transept, Effigies
Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, South Transept, Effigies

"In the south transept on a chest a pair of recumbent effigies, of a knight and lady.

He in a cusped ogee headed niche with crocketed pinnacles and censing angels in the spandrels, she on the floor beside him with mantle and cushion"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1064425 

DB 6 May 2018 

Gosberton, St Peter & St Paul, Church
Gosberton, Vicarage
Gosberton, Vicarage
Gosberton, Vicarage

Undated postcard.

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1872 states "The living is a discharged vicarage, valued at £130, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln, and incumbency of the Rev. John Topham, M.A., who has a neat vicarage house, in the Elizabethan style, erected by subscription in 1851"

Gosberton, Vicarage
Gosberton, War Memorial, Cross of Remembrance
Gosberton, War Memorial, Cross of Remembrance
Gosberton, War Memorial, Cross of Remembrance

First and Second World War Memorial originally unveiled 23 May 1920 by Earl Brownlow.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/20497 

DB 16 June 2019

Gosberton, War Memorial, Cross of Remembrance
Gosberton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Gosberton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Gosberton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
This chapel in Salem Street was opened by the Wesleyan Methodists in November 1878.
Gosberton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Gosberton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Gosberton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Gosberton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Stated in "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Spalding Circuit Past And Present” prepared by Colin Shepherdson & Norman Leveritt September 1997 (Revised August 1988) that :-

"i) The first chapel was built in 1834.

ii) The second chapel, in Salem Street, was opened on the 7 11.1878 and is still in use with a membership of 17" 

Flower Festival in progress. 

DB 1 May 2017

Gosberton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel