Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Navenby
 
Navenby, Methodist Church
Navenby, Methodist Church
Navenby, Methodist Church

The Methodist Church in Navenby is well-positioned towards the north end of the village on the A607 Lincoln - Grantham road.

June 2015

Navenby, Methodist Church
Navenby, Methodist Church
Navenby, Methodist Church
Navenby, Methodist Church

This chapel was built for the Wesleyan Methodists shortly before the union of Methodist churches. The opening service was held on 22 April 1926.

The large east window (orientation a la CE church?) is approximately in Perpendicular style.

June 2015

Navenby, Wesleyan Methodist Church
Navenby, Methodist Church
Navenby, Methodist Church
Navenby, Methodist Church

"This chapel, which still serves as a place of worship, was built in 1926 as a successor to a chapel in Chapel Lane which was built in 1839 to replace an earlier chapel of c.1802"

http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=MLI97092&resourceID=1006 

DB 17 April 2018

Navenby, Methodist, Church, Chapel
Navenby, Mrs Smith's Cottage
Navenby, Mrs Smith's Cottage
Navenby, Mrs Smith's Cottage

This early Victorian cottage in the centre of Navenby is named after its last occupant who died in 1995 aged 102. Its furnishings and fittings are entirely those of the nineteenth century.

It is currently being restored (2017).

June 2015

Navenby, Mrs Smith's Cottage
Navenby, St Peter
Navenby, St Peter
Navenby, St Peter

The tower of St. Peter's church in Navenby fell in c.1750 and was replaced; 'badly' according to Pevsner. The rest of the church makes up for it.

The nave is decorated with a Perpendicular clerestory.

The Decorated chancel is considered one of the finest in the region and contains a fine sedilia and easter sepulchre.

Mark Acton, 2008

Navenby, church, St Peter, Easter sepulchre, sedilia,
Navenby, St Peter
Navenby, St Peter
Navenby, St Peter

The tower was rebuilt in 1797 and contains a ring of 6 bells.

DB 19 March 2018 

Navenby, Saint Peter, Bell
Navenby, St Peter
Navenby, St Peter
Navenby, St Peter

View from the south-east in late autumn sunshine.

The large windpows of the clerestory and battlements above are good examples of Perpendicular work.

November 2017

Navenby, St Peter
Navenby, St Peter
Navenby, St Peter
Navenby, St Peter

Taking photographs of St Peter's is a challenge even when trees are no longer in leaf in the late autumn.

November 2017

Navenby, St Peter
Navenby, St Peter, Easter Bonnet Festival
Navenby, St Peter, Easter Bonnet Festival
Navenby, St Peter, Easter Bonnet Festival

The striking chancel screen is the work of Charles Kirk whose retstoration of the church in 1876 cost £3,300

This photograph shows the Easter Bonnet Festival held in the church in 2013.

DB 1 April 2013

Navenby, Saint Peter, Church, Easter Bonnet
Navenby, St Peter, font
Navenby, St Peter, font
Navenby, St Peter, font

Smaller font in the foreground is Norman.

Baptistry under the tower contains a font exhibited in The Great Exhibition of 1851. This was subsequently donated to the church in 1876 by Charles Kirk.

DB 19 March 2018 

Navenby, Saint Peter, Font, Baptistry, Charles Kirk, Norman, Great Exhibition
Navenby, St Peter, font
Navenby, St Peter, font
Navenby, St Peter, font

Closer view of the elaborate font by Chatles Kirk Junior, 1862.

November 2017

Navenby, St Peter, font
Navenby, St Peter, Interior view
Navenby, St Peter, Interior view
Navenby, St Peter, Interior view

Replacement rood screen was designed by Temple L Moore in 1910.

DB 19 March 2018 

Navenby, Saint Peter, Rood, Temple L Moore
Navenby, St Peter, organ
Navenby, St Peter, organ
Navenby, St Peter, organ

Attractively decorated organ pipes, probably from either the late Victorian or Edwardian periods.

November 2017

Navenby, St Peter, organ
Navenby, St Peter, Royal Arms
Navenby, St Peter, Royal Arms
Navenby, St Peter, Royal Arms

Queen Anne coat of arms dated 1710. Inscription states :- 

"ANTHONY FOUNTAIN CHURCH WARDEN

Thomas Hunton of Lincoln, Painter" 

DB 19 March 2018

Navenby, Saint Peter, Church, Royal Coat Arms, Anthony Fountain, Thomas Hunton, painter
Navenby, War Memorial
Navenby, War Memorial
Navenby, War Memorial

Located in Saint Peter's churchyard.

"It was unveiled by Colonel E. Royds MP on Sunday 10th April 1921, dedicated by the Rector Rev. G.T.Handford. Total cost £200"

https://www.lincstothepast.com/Navenby/1580665.record?pt=S 

DB 19 March 2018

Navenby, War Memorial
Navenby, Water Standpost, Clint Lane
Navenby, Water Standpost, Clint Lane
Navenby, Water Standpost, Clint Lane

Refurbished cast iron standpost for village water supply.

Manufactured by Glenfield and Kennedy Ltd, Kilmarnock.

Located on Clint Lane with two identical standposts situated on High Street

Very similar standposts in Aubourn and Haddington.

DB 19 March 2018

Navenby, Water, standpost, standpipe, Glenfield and Kennedy