Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Messingham
 
Messingham, Crown Inn, High Street
Messingham, Crown Inn, High Street
Messingham, Crown Inn, High Street

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 lists two public houses in the village :-

Drewry George, vict. Horn Inn

Mason Thomast vict. Crown

DB 27 March 2019

Messingham, Crown Inn, High Street
Messingham, Green Tree Inn, High Street
Messingham, Green Tree Inn, High Street
Messingham, Green Tree Inn, High Street

"John Wesley was known to preach in Messingham, possibly at the site of the Green Tree public house"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messingham 

Not mentioned in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 but is mentioned in the 1937 Directory but as a beer retailer only.

DB 27 March 2019

Messingham, Green Tree Inn, High Street
Messingham, Green Tree Inn, High Street
Messingham, Green Tree Inn, High Street
Messingham, Green Tree Inn, High Street

"The Bass Brewery was founded in 1777 by William Bass in Burton-upon-Trent, England.

The main brand was Bass Pale Ale, once the highest-selling beer in the UK.

By 1877, Bass had become the largest brewery in the world, with an annual output of one million barrels.

Its pale ale was exported throughout the British Empire, and the company's distinctive red triangle became the UK's first registered trade mark"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_Brewery 

DB 27 March 2019

Messingham, Green Tree Inn, High Street, Bass
Messingham, Holy Trinity
Messingham, Holy Trinity
Messingham, Holy Trinity

Other than the tower, rebuilt in 1784, the exterior is the work of Edward Willson from 1817-18 and paid for by the then Rector, Henry Bayley, known as the 'Robber Archdeacon' who 'acquired' stained glass and furnishings for Messingham from other churches under his control.

Inside is an Early English north arcade.

Mark Acton, 2017

Messingham, Holy Trinity, Henry Bayley, Edward Willson
Messingham, Holy Trinity, window
Messingham, Holy Trinity, window
Messingham, Holy Trinity, window

The east window contains stained glass from the 14th to 16th centuries, 'acquired' by Archdeacon Bayley from churches in Lincolnshire, Malvern and Manchester.

Mark Acton, 2017

Messingham, Holy Trinity, Archdeacon Bayley
Messingham, Horn Inn, High Street
Messingham, Horn Inn, High Street
Messingham, Horn Inn, High Street

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 lists two public houses in the village :-

Brown Charles William, Horn inn 

Wood Walter, Crown inn

Also

Chappell Elizabeth (Mrs.), beer retlr

DB 27 March 2019

Messingham, Horn Inn, High Street
Messingham, War Memorial
Messingham, War Memorial
Messingham, War Memorial

"The unveiling took place on 26th September 1920.

The ceremony was conducted by Revd. Cannon Walter Hicks MA (chaplain to Fleet and Air Force).

Lady Mabel Smith performed the unveiling"

https://www.lincstothepast.com/Men-of-Messingham/1580618.record?pt=S 

DB 27 March 2019

Messingham, War Memorial
Messingham, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Church Street
Messingham, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Church Street
Messingham, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Church Street

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Scunthorpe Circuit Past And Present” prepared By Colin Shepherdson & Mervyn G White March 1997 (Revised August 1998) it is stated that :-

"i) The Society was formed on the 14.11.171. a house licensed in 1777 and a chapel built in 1796.

The site is not known and the chapel demolished with the opening of its successor.

ii) The new chapel was erected in Church Street in 1821 and a Sunday school added in 1838.

An organ chamber was added to the chapel in 1856 and a new schoolroom in 1869.

The chapel was repewed in 1876 and redesigned and renovated in 1955.

A new hall and kitchens were opened on the 17.8.1961 and a further two classrooms in 1970.

The chapel is still in use with a membership of 59" 

DB 27 March 2019

Messingham, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Church Street
Messingham, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Church Street
Messingham, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Church Street
Messingham, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Church Street

Detail of the new schoolroom added in 1869.

DB 27 March 2019

Messingham,