The plaque on the millstone reads :-
"2009 Welcome to Wellingore Windmill Field, the site of the Parish's former limestone quarry and working windmill.
This structure commemorates the fundamental roles played by the quarry and the windmill in Wellingore's industrial and cultural history.
It also introduces a new role for this historic site.
The millstone was located at an old mill nearby and the supporting limestone blocks come from the quarry at Metheringham.
The original 18th century windmill was a two storey building with five more floors added in 1854.
It was a working mill until the late 1930s and lost its sails during WWII when it was considered too much of a landmark for the Luftwaffe.
The quarry mined stone mainly for use in building and road repair.
It was closed, filled in and grassed over in the mid 1960s.
The field belongs to the Parish and has been transformed into both a recreational amenity and a habitat in which local wildlife can thrive.
The Parish Council are most grateful for the generous financial donations from outside agencies and the hard work given freely by Parish residents, without which this project would not have been possible"
DB 29 October 2019