This house was built for a relatively little-known family (the Pigots) and has the unusual distinction of never having been sold.
The builder of Doddington was Thomas Tailor, a local man.
Drawing of 1797
More details about this house and its owners can be found in T R Leach's book, 'Lincolnshire Country Houses and their Families: Part 2', published by SLHA. Buy a copy.
West, garden front.
"Country house. Built between 1593 and 1600 for Thomas Taylor, the Bishop of Lincoln's Recorder, by Robert Smythson"
DB 2 May 2018
East, entrance front.
"In the 12th century the manor of Doddington was owned by the Pigot family who sold it to Sir Thomas Burgh in 1450, and eventually to John Savile of Howley Hall in Leeds.
In 1593, he sold the manor house to Thomas Tailor who commissioned the present house"
DB 21 December 2014
House viewed from the north.
DB 21 December 2014
Aerial view of the Hall from the south-west showing the formal gardens to the north and south of the building.
Some changes are apparent: there are no longer tall mature trees immediately to the east of the Hall. Outbuildings to the south (right) have been developed in recent years.
St Peter's church (behind the Hall) appears to have a short spire. This may in fact be a pale open stretch of ground in the woodland behind the church.
T R Leach Collection, undated postcard
This building is of the same period as the Hall, i.e. sixteenth century.
Pearl Wheatley, 2012
The small temple in the north-west corner of the garden behind the house was designed by the owner, Antony Jarvis.
T R Leach Collection, 1976
"Two-storey with 3 Dutch stone coped gables"
DB 2 May 2018
The Great Hall with bobbin-turned Cromwellian chairs from 1650's around the table.
The Long Gallery at Doddington.
T R Leach Collection, postcard by Melton of Exchequergate, Lincoln, undated
The principal entrance to the Hall at the centre of the east front.
"Pair of cottages. C17"
Next to site of the former village school.
The church of St Peter in Doddington is sited next to the late Elizabethan Hall.
It is a wonderful Gothic rebuild of 1771-5 with only part of the old north aisle remaining. The west tower has touches of Strawberry Hill Gothick.
Mark Acton, 2009
The architect of St Peter's was Thomas Lumby; restoration was undertaken by Scorer & Gamble in 1911.
Viewed from the northeast.
"PETER AND JOHN AT THE BEAUTIFUL GATE"
One of a pair of carved wooden panels located in the chancel.
DB 11 August 2018
"Early English tub-shaped font"
Hatchment for Edward Hussey Delaval who died 14 August 1814.
Mark Acton, 2017
Hatchment for John Hussey, 1st Baron Delaval, who died 17 May 1808.
The interior looking east towards the chancel.
Interior view looking west.
"John 'Jack' Delaval (1756-1775), the last male heir of the Delaval family, died aged nineteen and was buried in St Peter's Doddington. Reportedly the church interior was painted black for the funeral"
Monument to Henry George Jarvis who died of fever in Grenada 1838.
Captain in the 70th (Surrey) Regiment of Foot.
The Regiment "returned to the West Indies in January 1838 and took up residence in Barbados".
A label on the organ case credits the organ builder as J.F.Harston, Newark.
"Plan of Church showing old pews
prior to re-seating etc 1911-12"
Plan is signed
"Scorer & Gamble
Bank St Chambers
Lincoln. June 1911"
Dismantled pulpit in corner of south aisle.
"The chancel has large east window of 5 lights with extravagant flowing tracery, this may date from 1729 though it is more likely C19"
An inscription at the bottom states
"Lieut Col George Ralph Payne Jarvis died 14 June 1851 aged 77"
Pevsner credits the glass to William Wailes.
East window in north aisle.
Crucifixion scene by William Wailes.
Adoration of the Magi by William Wailes.
Memorials and Rolls of Honour for both world wars.