Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Alkborough
 
Alkborough, Coronation Club, Back Street
Alkborough, Coronation Club, Back Street
Alkborough, Coronation Club, Back Street

No public houses or beer sellers listed in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1876.

Coronation Club possibly named in honour of King George VI's coronation 1937. 

DB 15 July 2018

Alkborough, Coronation Club
Alkborough, Julian's Bower
Alkborough, Julian's Bower
Alkborough, Julian's Bower

The turf maze known as Julian's Bower lies on the edge of the escarpment at Alkborough, about 7 miles north of Scunthorpe (grid reference SE880217).

Its origin is unknown, the earliest reference being by local antiquary Abraham de la Pryme in 1697.

Beyond the maze the photo shows the flooded Alkborough Flats and Trent Falls, where the rivers Trent and Ouse merge to form the Humber.

See Pevsner: The Buildings of England - Lincolnshire. Also De la Pryme diary online via www.archive.org, which says that the maze was called 'Troy Town'.

Frank Robinson, 2011 

Alkborough, maze, Abraham de la Pryme, Tent Falls, Troy Town,
Alkborough, Millenium Plaque
Alkborough, Millenium Plaque
Alkborough, Millenium Plaque

Situated next to Julian's Bower and overlooking the confluence of three rivers The Trent, The Ouse and The Humber.

The Millenium Plaque (center) has a time capsule beneath. 

DB 15 July 2018

Alkborough, Millenium Plaque, Time Capsule
Alkborough, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Alkborough, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Alkborough, Primitive Methodist Chapel

"The former Victorian Methodist chapel uses yellow brick dressings to contrast with the three bays of redbrick pilasters enclosing arch-headed windows.

It has a boldly dentilled gable front with finials to either side, but the ground floor has been insensitively altered to provide a garage door"

http://www.northlincs.gov.uk/EasySiteWeb/GatewayLink.aspx?alId=5708 

Inscription above the central window has been obliterated. From the rear it is evident that many roof tiles have slipped and the building is in poor condition.

DB 15 July 2018

Alkborough, Primitive Methodist chapel, church, image
Alkborough, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Alkborough, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Alkborough, Primitive Methodist Chapel

A second earlier image.

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Scunthorpe Circuit Past And Present” prepared By Colin Shepherdson & Mervyn G White March 1997 (Revised August 1998) it is stated that :- 

"i) Missioned in 1819 and remissioned c1830 when a Society was formed. They met in various homes until their first chapel was opened on the 15.7.1894.

ii) The first chapel was replaced by a larger one in Risby Road. The foundation stone was laid on the 16.5.1906 and the chapel opened on the 6.8.1906. The last service was held on the 20.9.1981 and the chapel is now a dwelling house"

Geoff Swain Collection 17 August 1993

Alkborough, Primitive Methodist chapel, church, image
Alkborough, St John Baptist
Alkborough, St John Baptist
Alkborough, St John Baptist

The tower of St John Baptist church is Anglo-Saxon with twin bell-openings and a distinctive west window, though the upper part is Early English.

Mark Acton, 2008

Alkborough,
Alkborough, St John Baptist
Alkborough, St John Baptist
Alkborough, St John Baptist

The tower of St John Baptist church is Anglo-Saxon with twin bell-openings and a distinctive west window, though the upper part is Early English.

April 2015

Alkborough, St John Baptist
Alkborough, St John Baptist
Alkborough, St John Baptist
Alkborough, St John Baptist

This view of the church from the south shows the chancel (to the right) designed by John Oldrid Scott in 1887, and the Perpendicular windows of the south aisle.

April 2015

Alkborough, St John Baptist church, John Oldrid Scott
Alkborough, St John Baptist, Chancel
Alkborough, St John Baptist, Chancel
Alkborough, St John Baptist, Chancel

Oak reredos by Thompson of Kilburn.

His signature mouse can just be seen a little above and to the right of the right hand altar candle.

https:////en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Thompson_(designer) 

DB 15 July 2018 

Alkborough, Saint John the Baptist, Church, Robert Thompson, reredos, mouse
Alkborough, St John Baptist, Churchyard Cross
Alkborough, St John Baptist, Churchyard Cross
Alkborough, St John Baptist, Churchyard Cross

"Churchyard cross shaft. Medieval. Gritstone. Square section shaft approximately 2 metres high, the upper section of which has been remarkably weathered and worn by blade-sharpening"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1241763 

DB 15 July 2018

Alkborough, Churchyard Cross, Saint John The Baptist, Church
Alkborough, St John Baptist, doorway
Alkborough, St John Baptist, doorway
Alkborough, St John Baptist, doorway

The south doorway dates from the Early English period.

It has three orders of shafts, capitals with upright leaves and a richly moulded arch with both dog-tooth and billet decoration.

April 2015

Alkborough, St John Baptist doorway
Alkborough, St John Baptist, doorway
Alkborough, St John Baptist, doorway
Alkborough, St John Baptist, doorway

Detail of the south doorway showing shafts, capitals and arch decoration.

April 2015

Alkborough, St John Baptist church, doorway
Alkborough, St John Baptist, East Window
Alkborough, St John Baptist, East Window
Alkborough, St John Baptist, East Window

From left to right the main figures depicted are St John the Baptist, Christ as light of the world and Virgin Mary.

Inscription at the bottom reads :-

"To the Glory of God and in memory of James Goulton Constable of Walcot born 21st March 1858 Died 4th December 1922.

DB 15 July 2018

Alkborough, Saint John the Baptist, Church, East Window, Stained Glass, James Goulton Constable
Alkborough, St John Baptist, Font
Alkborough, St John Baptist, Font
Alkborough, St John Baptist, Font

"Cylindrical Norman font on C19 moulded column and medieval octagonal base"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1241758 

DB 15 July 2018

Alkborough, Saint John the Baptist, Church, Font
Alkborough, St John Baptist, Tower
Alkborough, St John Baptist, Tower
Alkborough, St John Baptist, Tower

Mid C11 tower with  C14 - 15 parapet.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1241758 

DB 15 July 2018

Alkborough, Saint John the Baptist, Church, Tower
Alkborough, St John Baptist, Tower Arch (Internal)
Alkborough, St John Baptist, Tower Arch (Internal)
Alkborough, St John Baptist, Tower Arch (Internal)

"Round-headed tower arch with re-used Roman moulded stone for bases and imposts"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1241758 

DB 15 July 2018

Alkborough, Saint John the Baptist, Church, tower arch
Alkborough, Walcot Hall
Alkborough, Walcot Hall
Alkborough, Walcot Hall

The hamlet of Walcot is about half a mile south of Alkborough village.

Walcot Hall was built in the third quarter of the eighteenth century. This is the east front of the house.

T R Leach Collection, undated photograph

Alkborough, Walcot Hall
Alkborough, Walcot Hall
Alkborough, Walcot Hall
Alkborough, Walcot Hall

A view of Walcot Hall from the south (on wash day).

T R Leach Collection, c.1985

Alkborough, Walcot Hall
Alkborough, War Memorial
Alkborough, War Memorial
Alkborough, War Memorial

Wheel cross, at the edge of the churchyard, commemorating the fallen from both world wars.

DB 15 July 2018

Alkborough, War Memorial
Alkborough, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Alkborough, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Alkborough, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

"Chapel. 1840 on datestone"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1241764  

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Scunthorpe Circuit Past And Present” prepared By Colin Shepherdson & Mervyn G White March 1997 (Revised August 1998) it is stated that :-

"A Society was formed in 1769 and the first chapel built in 1811/12 on the corner of Chapel Close in Front Street.

It was enlarged in 1840, the interior altered in 1994 and is now a Grade II listed building. The chapel is still in use with a membership of 15" 

DB 15 July 2018

Alkborough, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, church, image
Alkborough, windmill (1)
Alkborough, windmill (1)
Alkborough, windmill (1)

A tower mill built on the roundhouse base of a former post mill in 1855.

It was worked by wind until c.1916 and then by oil engine until the 1930s.

Jon Sass Collection, undated photograph

Alkborough, windmill, Jon Sass
Alkborough, windmill (2)
Alkborough, windmill (2)
Alkborough, windmill (2)

"Windmill tower. Early C19. Red brick, formerly tarred ... surviving internal fittings include three millstones in situ of first floor"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1242471 

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1885 has an entry "Kew Edward, miller (wind)"

National Grid Reference SE883215.

Geoff Swain Collection 17 August 1993

Alkborough, Windmill
Alkborough, windmill (3)
Alkborough, windmill (3)
Alkborough, windmill (3)

The tower of Alkborough Mill, now part of a dwelling, is Grade II listed. It is shown here shortly before the conversion work.

Location of mill: SE 833 216

Peter Kirk Collection, 2002

Alkborough, windmill, Peter Kirk