Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Infrastructure - Water Supply
 
Ashby de la Launde, Pump
Ashby de la Launde, Pump
Ashby de la Launde, Pump

This fine cast-iron pump in the centre of the village carries the following inscription:

Erected by N H Reeve in Commemoration of Queen Victoria's Jubilee, June 1887.

The Reeves of Leadenham Hall owned much of the land in Ashby parish.

Hilary Healey, c1965

Ashby De La Launde, water, pump, Reeve, Leadenham Hall,
Ashby de la Launde, Water Tower
Ashby de la Launde, Water Tower
Ashby de la Launde, Water Tower

A reinforced concrete structure close to the road in the village centre (TF 054550).

The tower provides a useful support for local broadband transmission.

June 2013

Ashby De La Launde, water tower
Baumber, Water Tower
Baumber, Water Tower
Baumber, Water Tower

This small water tower on the northern edge of the village close to the church (TF 222746) is now redundant.

The capacity of the cast-iron tank was about 6600 gallons (30 cu.m.).

October 2011

Baumber, water tower
Belton House, Gardens
Belton House, Gardens
Belton House, Gardens

This fine postcard depicts the garden with the fountain in full flow.

The fountain is believed to have been pumped by a pump made by John Braithwaite in 1817 and now in store at the Science Museum.

The pump was powered by a waterwheel which still survives in situ.

Braithwaite's detailed invoice for the work survives in the Brownlow deposit at Lincolnshire Archives and it is a remarkable list of parts together with details of the labour for installation.

This sunken formal garden and fountain are recognisable today, though the garden design is much simplified and water no longer issues from the fountain.

1930s photograph

 

 

Belton Kesteven, gardens, waterwheel, pump,
Belton House, Pumphouse
Belton House, Pumphouse
Belton House, Pumphouse

The small building astride a branch of the Witham to the west of Belton House contains a waterwheel fitted in the early 19th century to drive a water pump.

Water from the river was pumped to tanks in the roof of the house where it could be used in the event of fire.

A second pipe led to the fine fountain in the formal gardens to the north of the house.

2011

Belton Kesteven, pumphouse, Witham
Belton House, Pumphouse Waterwheel
Belton House, Pumphouse Waterwheel
Belton House, Pumphouse Waterwheel

This waterwheel, 12 feet in diameter, is made of cast iron. It stands over a branch of the river Witham and is controlled by the sluice on the extreme right of the picture.

The wheel drove a 4-cylinder pump, built by John Braithwaite in the 1817 and dismantled in 1933. Water was pumped up to the house and to the fountain in the formal gardens.

2011 

Belton Kesteven, waterwheel, Belton House, John Braithwaite
Bracebridge Heath, Water Tower
Bracebridge Heath, Water Tower
Bracebridge Heath, Water Tower

St John’s Hospital was built as the County Pauper Lunatic Asylum in 1852.  It was in effect a large self-contained community.

The water tower of 1924-25 is built of reinforced concrete and is 38m (125ft) high.

September 2013

Bracebridge Heath, water tower, asylum
Branston, Waterworks
Branston, Waterworks
Branston, Waterworks

In 1879 a waterwheel-powered waterworks was installed by Charles Hett of Brigg for the Melville family of Branston.

Water from a sluice in Branston Beck was used to turn this waterwheel which, in turn, drove pumps to raise water from a spring.

It was pumped to Branston Old Hall (and, later, to the New Hall when it was completed in 1886).

Ken Redmore, 2009
Branston, waterworks, hett, waterwheel, melville,
Branston, Waterworks
Branston, Waterworks
Branston, Waterworks

In 1879 a waterwheel-powered waterworks was installed by Charles Hett of Brigg for the Melville family of Branston.

Water from a sluice in Branston Beck was used to turn this waterwheel which, in turn, drove pumps to raise water from a spring.

It was pumped to Branston Old Hall (and, later, to the New Hall when it was completed in 1886).

The pumps in the foreground were installed later together with a gas engine to supplement the original equipment.

Ken Redmore, 2009

 

Branston, waterworks, hett, waterwheel, melville,
Burton by Lincoln, Well
Burton by Lincoln, Well
Burton by Lincoln, Well

The recently restored well head in the main street of Burton by Lincoln is a late 19th century structure.

The plaque bears the inscription: "1867 Presented by the Monson Estate for water supply for the village”.

There is a second such water supply further up the hill in the village.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011


Burton By Lincoln, well, monson,
Dorrington, Water Tower
Dorrington, Water Tower
Dorrington, Water Tower

Sleaford Rural District Council was well in advance of the times when it erected the water tower at Dorrington in 1910.

Few small communities in rural Lincolnshire had such a good and reliable water supply at the time.

The tower remains in good condition though it is no longer in use.

Ken Redmore, 2004

Dorrington, water supply,
Evedon, Water Tower
Evedon, Water Tower
Evedon, Water Tower

In 1915 Sleaford Rural District Council built this water tower to serve the local area.

It became redundant in the 1960s and in 1989, with extensions built on either side.

It was converted into a dwelling, losing the tank in the process.

Neil Wright, 2001

Evedon, water,
Evedon, Water Tower
Evedon, Water Tower
Evedon, Water Tower

In 1915 Sleaford Rural District Council built this water tower to serve the local area.

It became redundant in the 1960s and in 1989, with extensions built on either side.

It was converted into a dwelling, losing the tank in the process.

Neil Wright, 2001

Evedon, water,
Gainsborough, Water Tower
Gainsborough, Water Tower
Gainsborough, Water Tower

The water tower on Cox's Hill (or Summer Hill), Gainsborough, was erected in 1897.

A memorial tablet alongside gives full details.

It provided a water supply to the upper part of the town which could not be served by the adjacent service reservoirs.

It was superseded by the Ash Grove water tower.

Postcard, 1906

 

Gainsborough, water,
Gedney, Water Tower
Gedney, Water Tower
Gedney, Water Tower

The water tower on Chapelgate in Gedney (TF 414245), close to the A17, has a design found at several locations in the Anglian Water region.

It provides a convenient support for radio communication and phone networks.

June 2013

Gedney, water tower
Gunby, Covered Reservoir
Gunby, Covered Reservoir
Gunby, Covered Reservoir

A water supply system for Gunby Hall was installed in the meadowland to the south-east in the nineteenth century.

A natural spring was piped into this small covered reservoir and then pumped to the Hall.

February 2013

Gunby, water supply, reservoir
Hemswell, Water Tower
Hemswell, Water Tower
Hemswell, Water Tower

RAF Hemswell was used by RAF Bomber Command from 1937 to 1957.

Construction of the buildings, including this water tower, was from 1935-36.

This design was used at other RAF stations of the same period.  The tower is made of reinforced concrete.

September 2013

Hemswell, RAF water tower
Lea, Village Pump
Lea, Village Pump
Lea, Village Pump

The village pump in Lea, near Gainsborough, in 1908.

Before the days of mains water supply, water for a villager's drinking and cooking was pumped from a well.

Most properties - provided there was a suitable supply nearby - had their own wells and pumps.

Other householders had to collect water in pails from the village pump, although rainwater collected in a butt was used for laundry.

Postcard, 1908

Lea, village pump, water supply,
Lincoln, Well Lane Pump
Lincoln, Well Lane Pump
Lincoln, Well Lane Pump

This public pump is at the junction of Well Lane and Steep Hill.

May 2013

IA and Bridges, well lane, well
Metheringham, RAF Metheringham, Water Tower
Metheringham, RAF Metheringham, Water Tower
Metheringham, RAF Metheringham, Water Tower

The water tower at RAF Metheringham (TF 102598).

The airfield was the home to 106 Bomber Squadron from 1943 to the end of the war.

Over 200 operations flew from here and 57 Lancaster bombers were lost.

There is a small visitor centre on the site.

Peter Stevenson

Metheringham, RAF, water tower,
Newton by Folkingham, Water Tower
Newton by Folkingham, Water Tower
Newton by Folkingham, Water Tower

The water tower at Newton is on a highpoint (61m) halfway between the village centre and the A52.

September 2013

Newton by Folkingham, water tower
Potterhanworth, Water Tower
Potterhanworth, Water Tower
Potterhanworth, Water Tower

The water tower in Potterhanworth was built in 1903 and financed by an endowment from Christ’s Hospital.

A capacity of 37,000 gallons was supplied from a 150 foot deep artesian bore hole.

The rooms beneath the tank were used by the Home Guard in World War 2. Redundant in 1978, the building was converted into a private home in 1995.

Mark Acton, 2013

Potterhanworth, water tower, Home Guard
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Water Tower
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Water Tower
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Water Tower

The radar site is located on top of a hill at 151 m above Ordnance Datum and a good supply of water would have been required for fire-fighting.

It was demolished in 1996. The "domestic” site located half a mile away to the NE had its own water tower which survives today.


Chris Lester, 1995

Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, radar, water tower,
Thimbleby, Village Pump
Thimbleby, Village Pump
Thimbleby, Village Pump

This pump, on the village main street, has been in use until relatively recently. It dates from 1857 and is Grade II Listed for its group value.

The notice on the pump casing reads: "This water is unfit to drink”

June 2013

Thimbleby, Village Pump
Withcall, Water Supply Reservoir
Withcall, Water Supply Reservoir
Withcall, Water Supply Reservoir
Withcall, Water supply reservoir
Withcall, Water Wheel
Withcall, Water Wheel
Withcall, Water Wheel
Withcall, waterwheel