Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Wragby
 
Wragby, Adam & Eve, Public House
Wragby, Adam & Eve, Public House
Wragby, Adam & Eve, Public House

Three victuallers listed in White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 :-

Clark My. & Jph. vict. Adam & Eve

Hutchinson Jph. vict. Turnor's Arms

Pickwell George, vict. Red Lion 

The Adam & Eve has recently been used as an Indian Restaurant but is now closed.

DB 30 March 2019

Wragby, Adam & Eve, Public House
Wragby, All Saints
Wragby, All Saints
Wragby, All Saints

All Saints was built in 1839 by W A Nicholson of Lincoln and funded by the Turnors, who owned most of the village.

It is a large church with a relatively short chancel which Nicholson had intended to be longer.

August 2013

Wragby, All Saints church, W A Nicholson
Wragby, All Saints
Wragby, All Saints
Wragby, All Saints

Built in pale yellow local brick by W A Nicholson, All Saints’ dates from 1839 and was built for the Turnor family.

The church has tall lancet windows, gabled buttresses and tall pinnacles.

The sizable interior has a west gallery and a rare early organ.

August 2013

Wragby, All Saints church, W A Nicholson, Turnor
Wragby, All Saints
Wragby, All Saints
Wragby, All Saints

View from the gallery.

DB 12 May 2018

Wragby, Church, All Saints
Wragby, All Saints, Ewer
Wragby, All Saints, Ewer
Wragby, All Saints, Ewer

Ewer used for filling font. On display for the West Lindsey Churches Festival in 2018.

The inscription reads: 'A.M.D.C. / In memoriam Martha Ann Croft / ob Nov 24th 1872'

DB 12 May 2018

Wragby, Church, All Saints, Ewer
Wragby, All Saints, Font
Wragby, All Saints, Font
Wragby, All Saints, Font

"C19 octagonal stone font on tall pedestal, with ogee hood"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1147509 

DB 12 May 2018

Wragby, Church, All Saints, Font
Wragby, All Saints, War Memorial
Wragby, All Saints, War Memorial
Wragby, All Saints, War Memorial

Located north wall of nave.

"Two oak boards upon which are fixed brass plaques"

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/54070 

DB 12 May 2018 

Wragby, Church, All Saints, war memorial
Wragby, All Saints, Water Stoup
Wragby, All Saints, Water Stoup
Wragby, All Saints, Water Stoup

"Medieval water stoup located in the porch"

http://www.churchesfestival.info/2014/03/wragby-all-saints.html 

(Transferred from the Old Church (also All Saints) which was located about 0.2 miles to the southeast) 

DB 12 May 2018

Wragby, Church, All Saints, water stoup
Wragby, Almshouses
Wragby, Almshouses
Wragby, Almshouses

The original almshouses for twelve widows in Turnor Square, Wragby, were built in 1697 by Sir Edmund Turnor along with a chapel.

They were rebuilt in 1840.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Wragby, Almshouses, Edmund Turnor
Wragby, Almshouses
Wragby, Almshouses
Wragby, Almshouses

Wragby, Turbnor almshouses
Wragby, Almshouses
Wragby, Almshouses
Wragby, Almshouses

Panoramic view of the Almshouses.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1885 states :-

"In 1697 Sir Edmund Turnor knt., founded a chapel and almshouses for six clergy widows and six lay widows or widowers of Wragby, and in 1708 he devised an endeowment thereto:

they were rebuilt in 1840, in the Gothic style, at a cost of £1,950 out of funds accumulated from unappropriated pensions:

the present payment is 25s. a quarter to clergy widows, I6s. 8d. per quarter to the lay widows; in addition to which the latter recieve £5 each yearly from the interest of £1,000 £3 cent. consols, bequeathed by the late Mrs. Yard. wife of a former vicar; there is also a payment to the Vicar of £40"

DB 24 August 2019

Wragby, Almshouses, Edmund Turnor
Wragby, Almshouses, Handpump
Wragby, Almshouses, Handpump
Wragby, Almshouses, Handpump

"Handpump. 1840. Painted cast iron, wood.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063072 

DB 24 August 2019

Wragby, Almshouses, Edmund Turnor, Handpump
Wragby, Almshouses, Plaque
Wragby, Almshouses, Plaque
Wragby, Almshouses, Plaque

Plaque above gateway.

"Founded by Sir Edmund Turnor Knt. 1695. Dona Dei Deo Amore et Exemplo.

Rebuilt 1840"

DB 24 August 2019

Wragby, Almshouses, Edmund Turnor
Wragby, Brian's Pickles, Cemetery Road
Wragby, Brian's Pickles, Cemetery Road
Wragby, Brian's Pickles, Cemetery Road

Delicious pickles to be had in Wragby until Brian retired in 2016.

DB 18 December 2015

Wragby, Brian's Pickles
Wragby, Manor Farmhouse
Wragby, Manor Farmhouse
Wragby, Manor Farmhouse

This late eighteenth-century house is now a butcher’s shop.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Wragby, Manor Farmhouse
Wragby, Manor House
Wragby, Manor House
Wragby, Manor House

The Manor House was built in the late eighteenth century.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Wragby, Manor House
Wragby, Market Place
Wragby, Market Place
Wragby, Market Place

This undated photograph looks northwards towards the junction of the A158 and B1202 roads.

The west side of the Market Place, seen here on the left, is relatively unchanged today.

The Manor Farmhouse is the building of 6 bays at the end of the row and immediately before the road junction. The two end bays were demolished to enable the A158 to be widened (see modern photograph of the front of the building).

undated postcard 

Wragby, Market Place. Manor farmhouse
Wragby, Methodist Chapel
Wragby, Methodist Chapel
Wragby, Methodist Chapel

The Methodist Church in Wragby, built in 1894, is typical of the late 19th century / Edwardian style. The sanctuary is on the right, the school room and 'facilities' are on the left.

June 2017

Wragby, Methodist Chapel Wesleyan
Wragby, Methodist Chapel
Wragby, Methodist Chapel
Wragby, Methodist Chapel

The former Wesleyan chapel in Church Street was opened in September 1894 on the site of an earlier chapel built in 1809.

June 2017

Wragby, Methodist Wesleyan Chapel
Wragby, Methodist Chapel
Wragby, Methodist Chapel
Wragby, Methodist Chapel

Inscription located inner entrance. Records erection of the church in 1894.

Architect John Wills, Derby & London.

Builders Messers Thompson & Sons, Louth  

DB 12 May 2018

Wragby, Methodist Church, John Wills, Thompson & Sons
Wragby, Methodist Chapel
Wragby, Methodist Chapel
Wragby, Methodist Chapel

Internal view during the West Lindsey Churches festival with a display of rural crafts.

The pipe organ, which is also a war memorial, can bee seen on the left.

DB 12 May 2018

Wragby, Methodist Church,
Wragby, Methodist Chapel, Font
Wragby, Methodist Chapel, Font
Wragby, Methodist Chapel, Font

 

DB 12 May 2018

Wragby, Methodist Church, Font
Wragby, Methodist Chapel, Organ & War Memorial
Wragby, Methodist Chapel, Organ & War Memorial
Wragby, Methodist Chapel, Organ & War Memorial

Report in the Horncastle News Wednesday 18 September 2013

"The organ, built in 1921 as the town’s memorial to those who fell in the Great War 1914-18, has undergone extensive restoration work in recent months"

https://www.horncastlenews.co.uk/news/wragby-methodist-church-memorial-organ-restored-1-5501270

DB 12 May 2018

Wragby, Methodist Church, war memorial, organ
Wragby, Methodist Chapel, War Memorial
Wragby, Methodist Chapel, War Memorial
Wragby, Methodist Chapel, War Memorial

Report in the Horncastle News Wednesday 18 September 2013

"The organ, built in 1921 as the town’s memorial to those who fell in the Great War 1914-18, has undergone extensive restoration work in recent months.

As part of the organ’s restoration, a new plaque has been placed in a prominent position on the outer wall of the church, giving the details of those who died in the two World Wars"

https://www.horncastlenews.co.uk/news/wragby-methodist-church-memorial-organ-restored-1-5501270

DB 12 May 2018

Wragby, Methodist Church, war memorial
Wragby, Moated Manorial Complex
Wragby, Moated Manorial Complex
Wragby, Moated Manorial Complex

View from public footpath at the southwest corner of the Complex. 

"The monument includes the remains of a medieval manorial complex with associated church and churchyard located 230m south east of the present All Saints' Church.

In 1086 there were two manors at Wragby in the possession of Erenis of Buron and Waldin the Artificer.

The surviving remains are thought to represent the manor held by Erenis of Buron which included responsibility for a church and a priest and was the centre of a substantial estate"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1016967 

DB 2020

Wragby, Moated manorial complex
Wragby, Old Church
Wragby, Old Church
Wragby, Old Church

The site of the Old Church (All Saints) is approached by public footpath and nowadays via Cemetery Road. 

Old Church is about 0.2 miles to the southeast of the New Church (also All Saints).

DB 9 June 2020

Wragby, Old Church, All Saints
Wragby, Old Church
Wragby, Old Church
Wragby, Old Church

Plan of the Old Church marked out in the ground. Local signage states :-

"The Church which stood on this site is mentioned in The Domesday Book as a part of the manor of Euranis de Buron ... 

From a survey carried out by the Lincoln History and Archaeology Society, we can say that the earliest part of the church, the north aisle and its arcade, were built in the transitional Norman style.

The chancel arch was of early English type, perhaps opening into a contemporary (C13th) chancel.

To the north of the chancel was an aisle, which before the reformation served as a lady chapel ... 

The centre of Wragby moved westwards and the church fell out of use.

A faculty for its demolition was obtained in 1836, with only the chancel retained as a mortuary chapel.

The old church was demolished and materials sold off to help with the costs of the new church (built 1838) ... 

The chancel was finally demolished in 1981 having become derelict" 

DB 9 June 2020

Wragby, Old Church, All Saints
Wragby, Old Church
Wragby, Old Church
Wragby, Old Church

Perhaps a fragment remaining from the Old Church.

DB 9 June 2020

Wragby, Old Church, All Saints
Wragby, Old Church, Elizabeth Pennington
Wragby, Old Church, Elizabeth Pennington
Wragby, Old Church, Elizabeth Pennington

Local signage states :-

"This large tomb stone is that of Elizabeth Pennington, the wife of Thomas Pennington, vicar at Bilsby. 

DB 9 June 2020

Wragby, Old Church, All Saints, Elizabeth Pennington
Wragby, Old Church, William Richardson
Wragby, Old Church, William Richardson
Wragby, Old Church, William Richardson

Local signage states that "William Richardson fought with Nelson at the Battle of the Nile where he was invalided"

DB 9 June 2020

Wragby, Old Church, All Saints, William Richardson, Battle of the Nile
Wragby, Old Grammar School
Wragby, Old Grammar School
Wragby, Old Grammar School

A grammar school was founded in Wragby in 1632 by William Hansard. It was rebuilt by the parish in 1775 and this is the building which survives today.

In the late nineteenth century the building was used as an infants’ school. The building has recently been restored.

June 2017

Wragby, grammar school, William Hansard
Wragby, Old Grammar School
Wragby, Old Grammar School
Wragby, Old Grammar School

The school was founded in 1632 and rebuilt in 1775. It is now a cottage.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Wragby, Old Grammar School
Wragby, Old Grammar School
Wragby, Old Grammar School
Wragby, Old Grammar School

Inscription above the door reads "FOUNDED BY WM HANSARD ESQ 1632"

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-

"The Free School, founded in 1627 by Wm. Hansard, has been converted into a Girls' National School, though its founder endowed it with a yearly rent charge of £30, out of an estate at Bilsby, for the instruction of 20 boys of the parish in reading, writing arithmetic, grammar, &c.

It was rebuilt in 1775, at the expense of the parish"

Grade II listed.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063071 

8 April 2019 

Wragby, The Old Grammar School, William Hansard
Wragby, Police Station & Petty Sessions Court
Wragby, Police Station & Petty Sessions Court
Wragby, Police Station & Petty Sessions Court

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"Petty Sessions are usually held at Wragby the first thursday in the month at the Police Station, at 11.30 a.m.

The petty sessional division comprises the following places, viz. Apley, Bardney, East & West Barkwith, Benniworth, Bullington, Burgh-on-Bain, Coldstead, Fullnetby, Haton, Goltho, Hainton, Holton with Beckering, Langton, Panton, Rand, Legsby, Ludford Parva, Ludford Magna, Lissington, Newbold, Sotby, Snelling, East & West Torrington, Sixhills, Stainfield, Stainton, Tupholme, Wickenby, South Willingham & Wragby"

Date above the door reads "1855". 

Now a private house. 

8 April 2019 

Wragby, Police Station, Petty Sessions Court
Wragby, Station
Wragby, Station
Wragby, Station

Former station building built by the Louth and Lincoln Railway.

" The station opened for freight in 1874 and passenger traffic in 1876. The passenger service from Bardney to Louth was withdrawn in 1951 but freight service continued until 1960 when the station was completely closed"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wragby_railway_station  

DB 12 May 2018 

Wragby, Station, Louth and Lincoln Railway
Wragby, The Ivy, Public House
Wragby, The Ivy, Public House
Wragby, The Ivy, Public House

Not listed in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 or 1937. Nor marked as a public house on the 25 inch OS map published 1887.

The Ivy's website states "17th Century Traditional Country Inn"

https://theivy.vpweb.co.uk/  

DB 30 March 2019

Wragby, The Ivy, Public House
Wragby, Turnor Arms
Wragby, Turnor Arms
Wragby, Turnor Arms

This large inn opposite the Market Place takes its name from the Turnor family who were squires of the Panton estate, including Wragby.

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-

Wragby "parish contains 610 inhabitants, and about 1600 acres of fertile land, all (except two small freeholds) belonging to Christopher Turnor, Esq., the lord of the manor, who, about 20 years ago, improved the town by the erection of new houses and other buildings.

The market, held every Thursday, is of trifling consequence.

Here are two annual fairs, on Holy Thursday for sheep, and on Sept. 29 for horned cattle, &c.

Petty Sessions are held at the Turnor's Arms Inn, on the first Thursday of every month"

Also

"Hutchinson Jph. vict. Turnor's Arms"

DB 30 March 2019

Wragby, Turnor Arms, Public House
Wragby, Turnor Arms
Wragby, Turnor Arms
Wragby, Turnor Arms

This is an old coaching inn dating from the early nineteenth century. Recent evidence shows it probably extended into a yard to the north.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Wragby, Turnor Arms
Wragby, Windmill (1)
Wragby, Windmill (1)
Wragby, Windmill (1)

The mill on Bardney Road was built in 1831 with seven storeys and six sails.

Jon Sass Collection, photograph c.1903

Wragby, windmill, Jon Sass
Wragby, Windmill (2)
Wragby, Windmill (2)
Wragby, Windmill (2)

Milling by steam power replaced wind in 1903 and an oil engine was used later. It is Grade II listed.

Peter Kirk Collection, 1997

Wragby, windmill, Peter Kirk
Wragby, Windmill (3)
Wragby, Windmill (3)
Wragby, Windmill (3)

Wragby windmill at the turn of the new century, refurbished and 're-tarred'.

Location of mill: TF 131 778 

Peter Kirk Collection, 2000

See another image of this mill

Wragby, windmill, Peter Kirk
Wragby, Windmill (4)
Wragby, Windmill (4)
Wragby, Windmill (4)

The mill was built by the millwright Ingledew and worked until 1903 when it was converted for running with an oil engine. It had 6 sails.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Wragby, windmill